[IRCA] From Chris Kadlec-- the 1053-Jammer Master Plan

For those interested in why the 1053-Jammer has such an overwhelming signal for such a weak target station, the following is copied (with permission) from a Facebook discussion that I had with Chris Kadlec this evening. Many of us have wondered why South Korea has such a powerful jammer on 1053 (recently the only Asian to have been heard during the Prince Edward Island DXpedition) while North Korea's 1053-Voice of Unification is only heard once in a blue moon here, even on the ocean coast. Chris explains the full reasoning behind the Jammer's power and operating goal.

Posted from Facebook:

Like  Reply  25 mins
Remove
Remove
Gary DeBock Well, the 1053-Beehive is so strong here on the west coast that there is eternal discussion about what is their target. The "Voice of Unification" shows up here once in a blue moon, even on the ocean coast. The going joke is that Seoul should change the Beehive frequency to 657 if they really want to do some damage :-)
Like  Reply  20 mins
Remove
Chris Kadlec There's a reason for that, to answer the west coasters' question: 657 and 819 are 115 miles away in Pyongyang. They're domestic stations for domestic use. They're strong, but the jammers in existence cover them pretty well. Outside of the city, you can really hear 657 well, so they had been using an experimental jammer near my FM site. Hwaseong just came on the air with about 6 jammers with that old experimental tone I posted last winter, and it does quite the damage. I could hear them on the Daegu Global Tuners radio at night, whereas before, they were part-time, day-only, kinda testing, maybe 1-5kw daytime. But now... they even have one on 729!! I've never heard a 729 jammer. It's funny you can hear 50kw 702. That's a tough catch in Seoul, unless you mean 500kw 720. That's got Beijing to deal with sometimes too.

So, the reason, with all that, that there is such a need for the 1053 jammers is that, although the signal is in Haeju, it's aimed directly at Seoul. It's also RIGHT on the border. It's also RIGHT beside the sea too with 1500kw. It's audio quality is RealPlayer-like and the transmitter isn't superb, but it has the power and it BLASTS into the urban areas west of Seoul, especially Incheon. That's a big no-no since half the nation's population is in Seoul and Incheon, 70 miles from this tower site, which is shared with 1080. Now, 1080 is flat-out propaganda. The need to cover THAT is a lot bigger I think, but the existing jammer in Seoul works well, but is highly ineffective in Incheon. So basically, 1080 is mostly unjammed in Incheon... the one station that is specifically propaganda. ... priorities, priorities ...
Like  Reply  17 mins
Remove
Remove
Gary DeBock Wow, that's the best, most detailed explanation of the 1053-Jammer's goal that I've ever heard. Do you mind if I re-post this on the IRCA list, Chris?
Like  Reply  11 mins
Remove
Chris Kadlec Sure, and feel free to mention that I have an upcoming one-hour (or so) audio bandscan with narration that I plan to post toward the end of year that will include audio of pretty much every frequency, music on Asian MW, all the jammers, etc.

How can I ... See More
Like  Reply  9 mins
Remove
Remove
Gary DeBock OK, will do, Chris. This information will be fascinating to many west coast DXers, and they will appreciate your explanation. It's getting a little late here on the left coast, though, so I guess we can chat again later. Thanks a bunch!
Like  Reply  1