[IRCA] 2nd report from Murray Harbour North, PEI

Another day, election day in the US.  Unfortunately, we had major
atmospheric noise causing us to pretty much give up on DXing this late
afternoon as a result.  Apparently there are some big storms brewing in the
Atlantic.  The weather was gorgeous today, with not a cloud in the sky.  We
awoke to frost, but it turned into a very nice day.  Here are the results
for the past couple of days!   73, Walt Salmaniw

ANGOLA (NON) 945, 2042-, RNA Radio N'gola Yetu Nov 7 Bruce heard this one
yesterday at this time, so I thought I'd try for it.  I did find an
internet feed here: http://www.rna.ao/radio-n-gola-yetu/ So far, not what
I'm hearing, but the language present is a bit strange to me.  By the top
of the hour, no luck with Angola.  Instead it was Radio Riyadh with just 5
kW from Ha'il, but by 21:09, started to hear Rod Stewart, with Tonight's
the Night.  Confirmed to be Smooth Radio from Bexhill-on-Sea with listed
0.7 kW.  Nick heard the Saudi earlier today, // to  1467. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

CYPRUS 963, 1948-, CyBC-RIK Proto Nov 8 Confirmed by // website (
http://riknews.com.cy/index.php/radio-main/proto-live), and playing Adele,
which made it easy to ID.  Briefly dominated the frequency, before having
Radio Tunis Chaine Internationale taking over in Spanish (at very good
level).  I can still hear Cyprus in the background, though.  By 19:57, I
can hear English (Either Sunrise Radio or Asian Sound Radio).  Quickly
faded.  Tunis switched to French at 20:00.  Thanks to Vlad Titarev for
pointing this one out for me!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

CZECH REPUBLIC 954, 2209-, CRo Dvojka Nov 7 Briefly very good reception,
then faded a bit allowing cochannel Onda Cero in Madrid to co-channel.
Talk between a woman and male, and // to their internet feed, although
delayed somewhat. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

DJIBOUTI 1431, 2124-, Radio Sawa Nov 7 With Ukraine having signed off, Sawa
is dominating the channel with a powerful signal, although cochannel
others.  Several times there were some girls chatting in what sounded a bit
like a south Asian language.  No time pips heard at the BOH, which I gather
should be present with Iran. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

FRANCE 1467, 2114-, TWR Europe Nov 7 Excellent reception with TWR's IS, and
into Kabyle.  What brought me here was that Saudi Arabia is here // to 945,
which I've been listening to for the past 1/2 hour.  Easily heard
cochannel.  Sorry, I'm not sure what Kabyle is. Got it, looked it up:  a
Berber language spoken in the north and north-east of Algeria.  SBC Radio
Riyadh is at Hafar al=Batin with 50 kW. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

GREECE 1404, 0202-, ERT Open Nov 8 Nice Greek music up to the TOH, then
time pips and brief Greek announcements, followed by piano music.  Good
reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

HUNGARY 1116, 1943-, MR Danko Radio Nov 7 Good reception with folk music,
and confirmed by their // 1251.   Another station is listed on 1116 for
this station, namely Mosonmagyarovar with 2.2 kW.  Pick your station!.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

IRAN 1071, 2030-, IRIB Radio Ma'aref (tent) Nov 8 What a mish mash of
stations.  I was looking for India, but no luck today.  Three cochannels
are visible on 1071.000, 1071.006, and 1071.010.  All similar strength.  At
20:37, lot's of mentions of Iran, so presume the dominate one is Iran.
Suspect another is Radio Riyadh, and unknown for the 3rd. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

IRAN 1071, 1933-, IRIB Radio Ma'aref Nov 7 A number of stations, so quite a
mix-mash.  I hear at least 3 stations, none of which is India (which I was
looking for).  Unfortunately, I can't get any of the links to work to
verify // frequencies.  4 carriers measuring 1070.990, .999, 1071.007, and
.010.  ***  Submitted the mp3 to RealDX, and Jari Savolainen who confirms
the main station to be in Farsi, and cochannel Czech.  The latter have 2
listed with 5 kW only.  Thanks, Jari!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

IRELAND 549, 1950-, Spirit Radio Nov 7 Looking for UR 1 on this channel,
normally completely dominated by Jil FM from Algeria, I can easily hear a
cochannel, which matches the on-line link.  Sometimes dominating, too (at
19:52). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

ISRAEL 1206, 0021-, IBA Reshet Bet Nov 8 A really tough copy, but thanks to
Bruce Conti for pointing this one out.  Parallel to the web feed with a
overnight call-in show with a DJ named Jo-Jo.  Also some nice vocals.  Poor
at best. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

ITALY 1575, 2233-, RAI Radio 1 Liguria Nov 7 Totally dominating for a few
minutes, than back to a more Arabic sounding station.  Good level while it
lasted!  Lively female announcer. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

MOLDOVA 1548, 1801-, Trans World Radio Nov 7 Good reception at 18:00 with
listed Bulgarian, but did fade a bit within a minute.  On recheck at 18:32,
Radio Sawa (Kuwait), presumed, is very strong and totally dominating.
Maybe not so fast.  Not // to the internet feed, so perhaps Iran?  But
within a minute, TWR dominates again, this time in. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

NORTHERN IRELAND 1341, 1701-, BBC Radio Ulster Nov 7 Best of the MW already
propagating before 17:00 UTC (1:00 PM local).  The UK has just entered
darkness, but we're 3 3/4 hours away from darkness.  A good start!.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

NORTHERN IRELAND 1341, 2355-, BBC Radio Ulster Nov 7 Very strong reception
of 'News 5 minutes before Midnight'.  Local news.  Tonight it's either UK
stations or Spain which are dominating.  Lots of atmospheric crashes, as
there are thunder storms off the Atlantic seaboard to our south-east.  Made
things difficult today.  End of programming at midnight, and went over to
Radio 5 Live relay. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

SAO TOME 1530, 2018-, VOA Nov 7 Very nice African 'High Life' music, // to
the VOA internet feed.  Often at armchair level, with occ cochannel(s),
especially Romania and Madeira.  The VOA feed is:
http://www.voanews.com/t/60.html. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

SAUDI ARABIA 1440, 2123-, SBC Radio Riyadh Nov 7 What 1521 used to sound
like, has been replaced by this mega kilowatt monster.  Extremely strong,
and totally dominating the channel!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

SCOTLAND 1743, 1919-, Stornoway Coastguard Weather Nov 8 Good reception
with Scottish accented English about marine hazards, etc.  Still several
hours until our local sunset. We're still experiencing a lot of static
crashes today, like yesterday. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

SLOVENIA 918, 2024-, Radio Slovenija 1 Nov 7 Nice signal with local vocal,
parallel to their internet feed on:  http://mp3.rtvslo.si/ra1.  But within
a minute had disappeared and replaced by someone else, but then it got
confusing.  Pausing the internet feed caused things to be out of sync.  At
20:30, could hear week time pips (? Iran).  Continues at very good level,
and confirmed Slovenia. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

SLOVENIA 918, 0300-, Radio Slovenija 1 Nov 8 Nice ID after time pips in
Slovenian.  Best to use notch to remove Nigeria on 917. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

TANZANIA 1377, 0058-, Radio Free Africa (tentative) Nov 8 Strong at times
with Rap music.  Nothing seems to fit except for perhaps Radio Free Africa
Tanzania.  Unfortunately there are no webstreams to compare.  Non-stop
music for the last 15 minutes or so I've been listening. Unfortunately, I
cannot access remote Perseus SDRs in Europe to confirm. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

TANZANIA 1377, 2044-, Radio Free Africa Nov 8 Nice ID at this time.  Not
the easiest channel, and a lot of static crashes today, but clear ID.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UAE 1575, 1928-, Radio Farda Nov 8 Nice ID at 1928 for Radio Farda, and
into a male vocal accompanied by a piano.  Very good, but obvious there are
a number of cochannels. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UKRAINE 1287, 2007-, Ukrainian Radio 1 Nov 8 Persha Prohama (1st program),
finally audible on the third day.  In PEI, it's a difficult channel due to
splatter from 1270 CJCB Sydney, NS.  Lots of splatter, but clearly in
Ukrainian.  Much weaker than the blowtorch on 1431!. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

UKRAINE 1431, 1712-, Radio Ukraine International Nov 7 Already heard at
fair to good level in Russian, despite 3 1/2 hours still to our local
sunset!  Pretty impressive!  Mentions of Debaltsyve ( an important railway
junction in Donbas where hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers died after being
guaranteed an exit corridor by the Russian invaders immediately after the
signing of the Minsk 2 aggreements).  An hour later, at excellent level.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UNITED KINGDOM 828, 2019-, Smooth Radio Nov 8 Poor to fair strength, and
nothing cochannel at this time playing Dan Hill's Sometime's When We
Touch.  Lot's of static, though.  Thank goodness for the internet feed to
confirm.  Not bad for 270 watts. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UNITED KINGDOM 945, 0300-, Smooth Radio Nov 8 Nice ID after some ad spots,
and into Gladys Knight and the Pips.  Fair with atmospheric crashes.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UNITED KINGDOM 1296, 2303-, Radio XL Nov 7 Good reception with ID and
travel ad for Canada, Dubai, etc.  Cochannel off-channels.  I do see 3
carriers on 1296.063 (causing the buzz.  ?COPE transmitter?) and 1296.002
and 1295.994.  Very nice at 23:10, // to their internet feed.  Seems a
South Asian station.  Using LSB makes it a lot easier to hear both stations
(confirmed Spain the other one I'm hearing). By adjusting the bandwidth, I
can minimize the Spaniard. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UNITED KINGDOM 1323, 0038-, Smooth Radio Nov 8 A pretty tough catch, but
 fair at times playing How Long by Ace.  Confirmed by the website stream
(although fibbed that I was located in the UK, or Gibraltar in my case!).
Not bad for 0.5 kW.  Many // listed.  1332 Peterborough at 0.6 kW
immediately heard at same fair level, with 'Holding Back the Years' by
Simply Red.  1359 with an ad listed as either Chelmsford (.28 kW) or
Cardiff with 0.2 kW. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

UNITED KINGDOM 1566, 2148-, Premier Christian Radio Nov 7 Good reception
briefly until TWR Africa regained dominance just before 21:50.  English
religious talk. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)