[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, October 28-November 3, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page52

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2598-USB, Oct 29 at 0054 UT, robot YL with weather in English, S6; 2749-USB, Oct 29 at 0055 UT, robot YL with weather in French, S5. Still in well on MF despite depressed northerly MUF on HF.

Rich Ray`s compilation for the DXLD yg from Canadian Coast Guard shows these are, with start times:
0040 UT 2749 VCO Sydney via Port Caledonia NS 46 11 14 -59 53 59
0048 UT 2598 VCP Placentia via St Lawrence NL 46 55 06 -55 22 45
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Oct 31 at 0305 UT, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC with double audio, an ad for something and an Ad Council PSA at equal levels. 0306 UT both stop at same instant, for single audio on ``Free Talk Live, Hour 3``, host not apologizing for the error (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 830, Nov 2 at 1306 UT, classic rock looping slightly clockwise from E/W, ID for some FM station; 1310, sounds like ``Jeff FM``, album from 1986, 662-area code phone and mentioning Memphis. Wikipedia says, ``Area code 662 is the telephone area code serving the northern half of Mississippi, including the five counties that are part of the Memphis metro area``. So, of course, it`s the station hijacked from Kennett MO, ex-KBOA which verified decades ago with a playing card, and is now: WGUE Memphis, with FM 99.3 Guess FM, per NRC AM Log. That`s really a 99-watt translator wagging this dog, W257CY per WTFDA Database. What a strange name --- meaning you never know what they`ll play next? NRC AM Log shows address in Southaven MS, yet 901-AC Tennessee phone number! This is just past sunrise 1256 UT here, yet still getting DX from east rather than west.

Likewise, on 840, instead of KXNT NV, or KTIC NE, at 1303 UT I`m getting ABC news, and still Louisville KY, 9:03 timecheck from WHAS ID and local news (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Nov 3 at 1213 UT, ``Star Spangled Banner`` sung in English, odd time, not sign-on but starting the broadcast day, obviously from KHAC NM as always permanently on 10 kW ND day power, since it`s the one also obviously lacking LSB, just USB plus carrier and looping W/E. 1214 UT on to a country hymn in English with steel guitar (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Oct 28 at 1305 UT, KBXD Dallas with ad for that jeweler in Frisco and something in another Metroplex suburb, IDs in passing as Radio Salam, M&W hosts in Hinglish; 1307 UT traffic report of necessity mostly in English; with usual slow SAH vs KQAM Wichita (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Oct 31 at 0259 UT, ``God Save the Queen`` on organ, but fade-down for KFCS ID as expected from Colorado Springs CO, the usual dominatrix now, not unwilling to run 10 kW day power at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

UNIDENTIFIED. 610+, Nov 2 at 1231 UT, het upon KCSP 610, loops SW/NE; less than 1 kHz off (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 870, Oct 30 at 2250 UT, country gospel music, ID as ``Top Ten Radio`` (I think), with WWL nulled but losing out to it by 2252 UT. Prime suspect looks like 25 kW KPRM Park Rapids, MN. Do they use such a slogan, or program name? Or maybe KAAN in Bethany MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590, Oct 29 at 0026 UT, I`m checking for the S Asian music John Reed in Shawnee OK had reported to NRC DX News a couple weeks ago which he concluded came from KLIV, way out in San JosÃ, California. Doubtful to me, so I researched that and concluded it was most likely WCGO Evanston IL. Here`s his report and what I wrote in reply:

``1590, KLIV, CA, San Josà â 10/14 2130 [EDT = 0130 UT Oct 15] â After listening to this station occasionally over a span of several years, but hearing no ID I finally IDed it. The broadcast is in Hindi language with a few English words and pop Hindi music. Snooping around on the internet turned up KLIV as broadcasting Hindi and Bollywood music. Thatâs it!`` (John Reed, Shawnee, OK, Brigantina (USSR-made in the 1990s); NRD-525; AOR AR-7030; Homebrew tuned ferrite loops, Clifton Labs active whip, phaser, Domestic DX Digest-West, NRC DX News Oct 31 via DXLD)

```! KLIV is 5/5 kW, and October FCC sunset is 0130 UT. NRC Pattern Book shows both night and day patterns are circle northwest into the Pacific. Should not be putting any signal toward us. But FCC AM Query says it`s NON-direxional daytime, so John may have got it just at switch time (November: 0100 UT). I`ll have to look for it! But his assumption is apparently based on format, not ID --- could it be anything closer? 5 kW at 1400 miles on a clogged frequency is a stretch. About half that distance:

WCGO Evanston IL, 10/2.5 kW U2 is partly ETHnic. Nothing else around here could fit unless another radical change, but he`s been getting this for years.

NRC AM Log 2016-2017 shows KLIV as C&W, 24-hour ``Country Gold 1590``, but could have flipped since August? Radio-locator.com still has KLIV as Country Gold with different patterns day and night, but not that different, with some signal still to the east.

>From Own website:
http://www.kliv.com/about-us/

``Welcome to 1590 KLIV â San Joseâs Country Gold. Your destination for country music from the 80âs, 90âs, and 2000âs. You might be looking for what was once Silicon Valleyâs New[s] Station. On June 10, 2016 KLIV sent out its last news broadcast. So why Country Gold, and why just this era? These were the best years for country radio, with the introduction of amazing artists like Garth Brooks, Reba, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, Trisha Yearwood, Tim McGraw, and Martina McBride. Weâd like to bring you these artists, and many more, right here on 1590 KLIV Country Gold``

So there was a recent format flip, but certainly not to Bollywood. And it took no more than 5 seconds of listening to
http://icy3.abacast.com:80/empirebroadcasting-klivamaac-64
at 0343 UT October 28 to tell that it`s country, not Bollywood.

So where on the internet did John find KLIV to be Hindi and Bollywood? Long outdated info, or from the future?

Now let`s check out WCGO Evanston IL
http://1590wcgo.com/schedule
It`s mostly talk, but some shows look like they are not in English. His log was Friday at 8:30 pm CDT, so on the sked M-F is:
7 pm - 11 pm Night Star Radio Joe Rasho.
I bring up stream at 0355 UT Oct 28, just before the show is to end:
http://streamdb5web.securenetsystems.net/v5/WCGO
and yes, non-English announcement, and S Asian? music. 0359 UT closing announcement unseems Hindi, but more like Hebrew? They do have a number of Jewish programs. No, but close: searching on Joe Rasho WCGO reveals it`s one of their ASSYRIAN programs:
https://www.facebook.com/joe.rasho/videos/10211001422178214/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
or just
https://www.facebook.com/joe.rasho

I think John must have been getting WCGO instead. It`s N-D day, but night pattern is supposed to go NNE, no good for us. Likely another one running day pattern at night, at least when we could hear it. I`ll be trying to hear it; if he or I can, getting a DF fix on it should confirm whether it could be WCGO, and not KLIV.

I`m glad I was led to WCGO since I see they also have a Milt Rosenberg page, ex-WGN, which says

``MILT IS CURRENTLY TAKING A BREAK FROM HIS LIVD [sic] RADIO PROGRAM. DOWNLOAD HIS SHOW PODCASTS TO KEEP YOUR BRAIN IN SHAPE! Podcast Feed: http://feedpress.me/milt-rosenberg ``
You may skip the anti-Obama ones``` They also link to Bruce DuMont.

Now at 0026 UT Oct 29 there is heavy CCI on 1590, but looping NE seems to be some ME or S Asian music and non-English talk in the mix. Unfortunately, logistically, I can`t DX and check webcasts simultaneously. Competition at first is ESE/WNW English call-in for Biblical advice, unsure whence, gone after 0030 UT, sunset? That was nullable, but still too much QRM to pull anything from WCGO(?). Will need to be on ND day pattern to have a chance here. At 0043 UT I`m getting something else in English, probably NNW, KVGB in KS. I keep nulling that and aiming toward Chicago, undivided attention to 1590 from 0058 UT to 0102 UT, but nothing surfaces above the pileup. Conditions might have been auroral, but no, Chicago 1690, 780 and 670 are in just fine at 0028 UT check.

WCGO would legally be on ND day pattern only until 2315 UT in October, 2230 UT in November. That`s before the Assyrian program on weekdays, altho on Saturdays there are several of them all afternoon as late as 7 pm CT. A.k.a. Neo-Aramaic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Neo-Aramaic
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1590, Oct 31 at 0307 UT, sounds like Bollywood music, and peaking about 40 degrees, almost northeast as befitting WCGO Evanston IL. Still same at 0322 UT and have not heard any announcements. With very heavy QRM and multi-SAHs, since there are five dozen mostly low-power US stations at night on 1590, but this is slightly dominant. 0333 to a Hallowe`en tune in Bollywood style with banshee.

It`s time to go back online instead of onradio, so I hasten to bring up the WCGO webstream, and hear more similar music, but now there is a lot of chatter between W&M, in Hinglish? Or Engjabi? with tune dedications. For the show at 10 pm to Midnite CT Sundays is: `Sohni Dharti Radio`. No info about it on WCGO`s own site, but searching separately finds this from a blog stalled since 2012:
http://sohnidhartiradio.blogspot.com/

``Let me introduce myself to you. My name is Sophia Sohail and I am a Radio Jocky doing shows every sunday night on wcgo 1590 am channel as well as a writer. I write articles in our community newspaper. When people of my community listen to my talk shows on the radio, they call me Oprah of our indopak community``. So Punjabi is more likely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590: Having seen my earlier report on the ``Bollywood`` station, John Reed in Shawnee OK replied Nov 2:

``Maybe this is what I heard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMIC

It looks like they were doing Bollywood music then, but may have switched formats this month. That signalâs power and distance sounds more like what I was hearing. 73, John``

Pertinent quote at end of wikipedia article:

``In mid October 2016, Radio Aleluya programming was replaced with brokered South Asian programming "Radio Dabang" which had aired on Siga Broadcasting station [1480] KLVL in Pasadena. This was done in an effort to provide better nighttime service to the southwest areas of Houston that KLVL was unable to cover after sunset.``

The radioaleluya website now shows 980 KQUE as the main station, and with coverage maps
http://radioaleluya.org/covertura/
of 16 stations in the market, mostly FM translators, no 1590, and only two on AM, 980 KQUE and 1380 KRCM (but a while ago that was split off to a separate ``Radio Viva``, so may not be up to date.)

KMIC had crossed my mind but as far as I knew it was R. Aleluya, and with an extremely unfavorable night pattern SE into the GOM. That would explain why the only Asian music I have been hearing loops toward Chicago rather than Houston. Getting a bearing on whatever is heard on 1590 would go a long way toward resolving this.

The R. Dabang website http://radiodabang.com now greets us with

``RADIO DABANG is now on the BIGGER, BETTER and STRONGER 1590AM!

About The Radio Dabang --- Radio Dabang is presented to you by Bollywood Show 4 U which is a renowned entertainment management company based out of Houston Texas. Radio Dabang is Houstonâs top South Asian Bollywood Radio station. It has been an industry leader and dominating the Bollywood radio category in Houston since its inception with over 2 million listeners. Read More`` [which leads to a 404]

So indeed John could have been hearing this since mid-October on 1590, but the ``Bollywood`` station heard for ``years`` before would have to be something else, like WCGO which has been ETHnic for a long time including partially Bollywood (but rather Assyrian at the time of his log, as I researched before).

Then I check the Houston-Galveston board at
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?697676-Radio-Dabang-moves-from-1480-to-1590

``10-12-2016, 09:02 PM #1 Mediafrog+
Radio Dabang moves from 1480 to 1590

KLVL 1480 is running looped messages from Radio Dabang telling listeners to tune to 1590. And checking KMIC the regular Radio Dabang programming has indeed moved there. The announcement loop mentions that listeners had complained about the 1480 signal, especially the inadequate nighttime coverage. Not a surprise, as the 1480 night signal starts to die west of downtown Houston, and is buried in the co-channel pileup when you get to the West Loop. As most of the South Asian community is in the southwest part of the market, Radio Dabang couldn't reach them after sunset. So a format change for KMIC 1590, and it would appear that KLVL 1480 is looking for a new tenant``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590, Oct 30 at 0307 UT as I am rotating the DX-398 to peak/null presumed WCGO IL, something appears briefly in the null, ``Your shopping mall on the radio, KGAD``, or fuzzily similar calls. KDAV Lubbock TX would be closest, supposedly oldies, and maybe silent? Or KVGB Great Bend KS? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---