[IRCA] From Chris Kadlec-- 1053 Korean Jammer Info and Tower Photo

The following information on the Korean 1053-Jammer was forwarded from a Facebook post from Chris Kadlec, who is currently visiting South Korea. The photo of the three towers is posted at https://app.box.com/s/10auv1n7zncxdj33fukz5ijnmst19vex

AM 1053 - Gimpo / Incheon, Korea - 250kw

Here are three of the four towers of AM 1053, Gimpo, Korea (Seoul / Incheon metro area). The station's format is a jammer of the siren variety, on twice a day to block the 1,500kw Pyongyang Broadcasting affiliate about 70 miles across the water in Haeju. It's only broadcasting at 250kw, but does a good job nevertheless with its partner whirring jammer (of the beehive type sound) at the Goyang tower site just to the east and perhaps a t ... hird at the Taereung experimental site on the east side of Seoul (I'll confirm tomorrow as they had been off the air during past visits).

For those of you who are older, you could probably remember that this site was once upon a time the KBS Gimpo tower site some years back (one of two, as it would move from a former site), long off the air along with another dozen or so affiliates. I'll post more photos from this site as well as the 18 towers for the 13 local AM/SW stations at the National Intelligence Service's Goyang site in the coming week in the transmitter group. Because this site (pictured here) is an NIS site, it's technically a restricted area, but because the land surrounding it is all under new development, the biggest problem with photographing it was 10-foot construction walls, hence my darkened photo since I was unable to get a good view from the west with the sun shining on them.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)