From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Bill Whitacre <bw@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:37 AM
To: CapeDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] [CapeDX] 2016 DX Audio Files - Cape Cod, MA (preliminary webpage)

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 12:18 AM, Mark Connelly MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxx [CapeDX] <CapeDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> One thing I hear about DXing in the SDR age is that people store up voluminous capture files and seem to take forever to review them and report loggings to other hobbyists.  It does take some effort to save pertinent audio clips, upload them somewhere, and create / update a suitable HTML links page.  Quite a different paradigm from the old days of exclusively "live" one-frequency-at-a-time DX when reports to others tended to get out more quickly.  Right now I have an under-construction page of audio clip links of this year's reception highlights here.  Many are within the last month or two (so likely still relevant).  Not all details for each item have been populated into the webpage but I figured let's get it out there before the tips get too stale.  Detailed reports, resolution of some unID's, and general page clean-up will come over the next week or so.&n bsp; November and December will likely see the addition of more items.
>
> See:
> http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_2016.htm <http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_2016.htm>
DX Audio Files 2016 - QSL.net<http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_2016.htm>
www.qsl.net
DX Audio Files 2016 . Mark Connelly, WA1ION - rev. 20160525 . Audio Files - South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA, USA - 2016 (GC= 41.6931 N / 70.1912 W) (= 41° 41.59' N / 70 ...

DX Audio Files 2016 - QSL.net<http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_2016.htm>
www.qsl.net
DX Audio Files 2016 . Mark Connelly, WA1ION - rev. 20160525 . Audio Files - South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA, USA - 2016 (GC= 41.6931 N / 70.1912 W) (= 41° 41.59' N / 70 ...

> Mark Connelly, WA1ION
> South Yarmouth, MA, USA

—

Great stuff Mark!

I have never found words very useful when trying to describe to someone what I’ve heard on the radio.

Since my return to the hobby in late 2008, after a 25+ year absence, I have skipped written logs completely and use a database/webpage system to present what I’ve heard - either @ home or on DXpeditions:

http://realmonitor.com/am_logs.php <http://realmonitor.com/am_logs.php>
AM Logs - Alexandria, VA - realmonitor.com<http://realmonitor.com/am_logs.php>
realmonitor.com
TA: TP: Canadian: LatAm: Freq Call Location Dist Miles Az Slogan Format Notes; 530: cuba-530: Havana, Cuba: 1127.1

AM Logs - Alexandria, VA - realmonitor.com<http://realmonitor.com/am_logs.php>
realmonitor.com
TA: TP: Canadian: LatAm: Freq Call Location Dist Miles Az Slogan Format Notes; 530: cuba-530: Havana, Cuba: 1127.1

http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_qh6.php <http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_qh6.php>

http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_grayland10.php <http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_grayland10.php>

… are a few examples.

It’s not perfect but now that I have a ‘template’ it’s pretty easy to make a new page or add to an existing one.

It does require a little knowledge or PHP, MySQL and HTML but since ‘playing with the computer’ is part of the hobby for many of us that’s not a problem.

I hope more people go this route.  For me, it’s a lot more ‘real’ than pages upon pages of written logs. And once it’s in a database you can do all sorts of analysis that I’m sure would attract the attention of the ‘counters’ among us.

Bill Whitacre
Alexandria, VA

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America