Re: [IRCA] Oklahoma TP DX 10/3/16

I remember hearing a Colombian on 660 back in the 80s on a SE beverage, on a DXpedition in the Indianapolis area with Chuck Mitchell (now SK) and Jon Williams. I also remember hearing Radio Coro from Venezuela (is/was that more of a network, than just one station?) on 1210 around the same time.

I keep seeing a carrier on 1039.62 from time to time in the evening, which I'm assuming is La Voz de Carabobo, Valencia, Venezuela. Haven't heard any audio yet.... too much splatter from whatever station happens to be on 1040 (usually WHO or some SS station to my south).

I've always liked listening for Latins, both on AM and shortwave. I guess I like the music. It was always a good day to wake up to La Voz del Llano blasting in on 6115! :^)

Mark

On 2016-10-03 11:53 pm, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
And yet, Bruce Portzer and I listened to Colombian election returns at
Jordan River off the back end of a Beverage in the 70s (I think)....on
a number of different stations.   There's more than meets the eye
here.

I thought to look up what Central and South Americans I had logged at
home in the 70's/80's, figuring only on now closed clears, splits etc.

First frequency, 540:  Managua, Bogota, Guayaquil, in 1975 and
1980....I hate to say it. but 540's make up hasn't changed that much
since the seventies...a couple of distant US daytimers have a few
watts at night, but it's not like 660 with a semi-local powerhouse
blocking everything now, null that and you hear Calgary (not like the
old days where it was XERPM or, rarely, WNBC).

Maybe Walt has it nailed...they may still be there, but maybe we're
not listening enough / at all.   Might be worth a hunt list.   At
least two channels are actually clearer now than then here, 600 and
1220.   I have tried 1220 on occasion, but never heard farther than
Mexico City or WHKW.

best wishes,

Nick

At 01:38 04-10-16, you wrote:
Exactly. Anything in South America involves transiting North and Central America with many, many co-channels, so no wonder S America would be so difficult. Having said that, I don't actively pursue them, in any case.
 73,  Walt