Re: [IRCA] [CapeDX] SDRplay

Le 2016-09-29 Ã 22:42, Mark Connelly a Ãcrit :
I would presume that HDSDR can do scheduling on SDRplay since it does it with Perseus.

In fact the only thing for which I use HDSDR is scheduling.  I always play back Perseus captures with the Perseus software.

I'm guessing I would do the same thing with SDRplay: use HDSDR for scheduled recordings (if it can actually do those) and SDRuno for playback.  Or wait for SDRuno to get updated with that capability if that's what needs to be done.

Dynamic range isn't that much of an issue here since unamplified terminated loops don't deliver massive maximum signals.  The local station WBAS on 1240 is not that much stronger than the bigger night skip signals such as WBBR 1130.  The noise level at night is largely set by a combination of local electrical noise, station slop, and lightning static.  If an incoming signal is sub-microvolt, it is most likely sub-noise.  This isn't central Alaska, the Australian outback, or Easter Island.  The most densely populated (and RF-loaded) area of the US is the I-95 VA to MA corridor and that's all within 500 miles.

  Based on several DXers' comments I think I will give the SDRplay a try.  It's certainly not big money to have another SDR in the "stable" even just to cover the case of the Perseus going down during a DXpedition or an above-average DX session at home.  VHF capability is certainly another selling point.

I purchased one myself, mainly to get slowly into FMdx. Using a 10 elements Yagi on the FM band in a rural area, it performs very well but the brief experience I had hooking the SDRplay to one of my Beverage has been another story. Actually at night on mediumwave, it overloaded quite notably while the Perseus handled that same signal in a flawless fashion. Although it is very preliminary (just one try), it suggest that the price tag of both items can justify such result.

I am however pleased with the SDRplay, especially since they obtained the rights over the excellent StudioOne software, rebranded SDRuno and slightly tweaked for the SDRPlay package. Connected to the Perseus hardware, audio from weak signals seems to be best recovered than from the native Perseus software to my ears. SDRuno offers however limited capability (i.e.1 MS/s max bandwidth) since the Perseus is an "extra" hardware. With the SDRplay, it can run up to a 10 MHz bandwidth but it is actually too much for my aging laptop. 4 MHz is OK though.

Sylvain Naud
Portneuf,QC