[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 23-29, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page50

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 594 kHz, Sept 23 circa 2000 UT, I resume my hunt for the mystery carrier somewhere southeast of Enid. I am in no hurry after my previous hunt a week ago, since it has been constantly there whenever checked in the daytime. This time I go two miles further south on US 81, then east on Wheat Capital Road ---- but no signal! Yes, it`s gone at some further chex, including back on Southgate where I know I was getting it exactly one week ago. Perhaps a secret facility got wind of my interest in finding it and turned it off? Should it reappear I must hasten to resume tracking it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, Sept 25 at 0515-0520+ UT, local KGWA is in dead air, giving me a rare chance to null what`s left of it and DX something else --- but nothing identifiable in the jumble. KGWA used to provide an occasional ``Fox-hole`` during the news block 0500-0505 UT, but not tonight nor anynight caught in manymonths. So I dare not keep listening longer lest my ears be blasted with the volume way up, without a predictable restoration time like 0505 UT was (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Re: ``FORMAT, SLOGAN AND SILENT STATUS CHANGES:
1050, KXCA Lawton, OK was CBS Sports Radio, now Westwood One The Touch urban adult contemporary, old slogan: "The Ticket 1050 AM", new: "1050
AM Heart and Soul"

1050, KGTO Tulsa, OK old slogan: "1050 The Touch KGTO", new: "KGTO
1050 Heart and Soul"

[both 1050 OKies on same net now? Can barely hear both daytime or
SR/SS, maybe echoing? -- gh]

1380, KKRX Lawton, OK was Westwood One The Touch urban adult
contemporary, now CBS Sports Radio, old slogan: "1380 The Touch",
new: "The Ticket 1380" (Bob Wien, Broadcasting Information, IRCA DX
Monitor Sept 3 via DXLD)``

1050, Sept 22 at 2021 UT on caradio I finally get around to checking these out: I am not hearing any QRM, but there are two weak signals making a SAH of 6 to 7 Hz during music. I don`t hear any echo so the two must be well-synchronized. 2038 UT a commercial for Walgreen`s, no QRM and no echo. 2040 UT now there are conflicting commercials during local cutaway. Recheck at 2056 UT now one is in music and the other in talk, continuing past 2100 UT, can`t hear any IDs but obviously these are the two Okie stations near limits of groundwave. KGTO Tulsa, approx. 102 miles, is 1 kW non-direxional; KXCA Lawton, approx. 125 miles, is 0.25 kW direxional away from Tulsa. Both have negligible night powers, pace XEG. If I`m ever in Tulsa at night, must hear how well its 22 watts carry. Or Lawton: 6 watts (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 880, Sept 23 at 0244 UT, ranchera music looping E/W, need to listen on LSB to avoid strong day-power cheating KHAC NM/AZ gospel huxter in English which is USB only (almost, some bleedover into LSB?). That leaves KRVN NE on DSB which I can`t null completely so still a lot of QRM for this one. Live DJ gives his cabina phone number; 0247 UT another announcement, 0250 UT fading down. 0302 UT fading up a bit for music, 0304 UT timecheck I can`t copy. From previous experience it is probably WIJR Highland IL (St Louis MO market), 160 watts night; rather than WMDB Nashville TN 2 watts (and is the latter still compensating for that by buying time on WNQM 1300? Can`t tell anymore since WWCR fixed its mixing products on 6220 & 8820) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060+, Sept 26 at 0509, Spanish praise music with fast SAH due to off-frequency cheatin` 10 kW daytimer, KIJN Farwell TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, Sept 28 at 0526 UT, ``La Nueva 98.7 FM`` referring us to its Facebook. Usual Spanish here is KCOR San Antonio, but this one is east/west! Several Facebook tries don`t find it, until I make a general search, which leads to:

https://www.facebook.com/La-Nueva-987-TX-521483718048966/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

which says ``la nueva ya llegà a Texas! La Nueva 98.7``

But where in Texas? Logo print is too fine to make out. But linx to::
http://www.lanueva105.com/

which leads to linx to a 105.5 in Baton Rouge, and also to La Nueva 1350 AM, KZTD Cabot AR! On the Facebook page, cabina phone is (501) 457-7373, which is Arkansas.

NRC AM Log 2016-2017 shows: 1350, KZTD, Cabot AR, U1 2500/73 watts, address in North Little Rock, SS:MEX, 24 hr ``Fiesta Mexicana 1350``, ``Radio Exitos``.

So where is this 98.7 they are now duplicating on ND day power? {As legal 73 watts is not going to reach Little Rock.} Well, WTFDA FM Database shows it`s nowhere in Arkansas! How about Texas? Nothing with that current slogan but among the 15 Texans on 98.7 of any power, these are/were Spanishish:

K254AZ  // KOPY-1070  98.7  ALICE  TX  USA  0.1  0.1  99.1  0.0
27-45-08  98-07-55 SPANISH CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIAN  Brokered

KZAM   98.7  PLEASANT VALLEY  TX  USA  6.0  6.0  97.0  97.0  34-02-54  98-39-38  Spanish LA MEJOR 98.7  REGIONAL MEXICAN  Silent 20160304

KOTX   98.7  HEBBRONVILLE  TX  USA  1.0  1.0  19.0  19.0  27-18-30  98-40-15  Spanish TEKILA FM  REGIONAL MEXICAN

K254CP // KOZA-1230  98.7  MIDLAND  TX  USA  0.25  0.25  0.0  0.0
31-58-03  102-07-06  RADIO EXTREMA 1230  SPANISH HITS

None of which look like a match for this, and in any event are nowhere near Cabot AR, which is in the center of the state, NE of Little Rock (and also nowhere near BÃton Rouge).

Radio-locator.com shows:

KZTD-AM 1350 kHz Cabot, Arkansas "La Nueva 105 & 1350"
Station Format: Spanish Pop
Website:
http://www.lanueva105.com/cabot

Despite that URL, this website is now titled ``La Nueva 1350 AM - Tu estaciÃn favorita en Arkansas`` -- yet another logo prominently displayed here is for 105.5 KDOK Baton Rouge LA!! And nothing about a 98.7.

Could there be a 98.7 in Baton Rouge which has flipped to this? NO, the only 98.7 in LA is KKST in Oakdale, urban-contemp.

The Contacto page from the /cabot site says direcciÃn is:
``Arkansas 515 s. James st.
Jacksonville Arkanzas LA`` [sic, sic!]

Jacksonville AR, is between Cabot and Little Rock on US 67 which looks like an interstate, but peters out in NE AR.

Then I click on the 98.7 Facebook logo to blow it up, and that tiny inscription visibly pertains to: ``Latin Hits, Wichita Falls TX``.
https://www.facebook.com/521483718048966/photos/a.521483804715624.1073741825.521483718048966/523254867871851/?type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/521483718048966/photos/a.521483804715624.1073741825.521483718048966/521483811382290/?type=1&theater

Is one of the above listed TX 98.7 near there? Pleasant Valley is not indexed in standard Rand McNally, but is in the Large Scale Road Atlas --- in fact, there are two tiny towns by that name, one SE of Lubbock, and another a suburb of Wichita Falls!

So the 98.7 non-ID heard on 1350 from AR is referring to KZAM, which maybe is no longer silent, and/or the network feed source. What a totally confused mess this all is; but fun to unravel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Sept 26 at 0509 UT, South Asian pop music dominates, from Radio Salaam Namaste = KBXD Dallas. When heard like this, we think it`s 50 kW day power; other night chex yield nothing, so seems sporadically active. Major lobes day and night go northwest, but with a null toward Wichita, which is closer to hereward (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, UT Sat Sept 24 at 0048 UT, ``Old Rugged Cross`` by bass other than TennErn, loops ESE/WNW, 0051 seguà to choral hymn. (No sign of KOKB Blackwell OK, while sibling 1020 KOKP Perry OK is sports-talking). Dominant signal on 1580, and 0128 UT recheck, preacher closing `Our Daily Bread`, 0129 UT ID like WBSS?, but that`s wrong. Ad for used Mercedes-Benz; 0130 UT AM 1580 into `Leading the Way with Dr Michael Youssef`.

Researching likelies, I soon come to KFCS Colorado Springs CO, and their schedule matches well enough in MDT:
6:00 	Great Music of the Church Dr. Molly Snell
7:00 	Turning Point, David Jeremiah
7:30 	Leading The Way with Michael Youssef, Ph.D

I previously tried the ltw site, but find-a-station requires entering zip codes rather than just displaying a list of their ``thousands`` of outlets. Nor did attempts to search on 1580 work.

KFCS is 10000/140 watts U1. FCC AM Query shows local sunset in Sept is 0115 UT, so I was hearing it both before and after if they were really powering down. Unusually, LSS shifts a full hour earlier on Oct 1 to 0015 UT. To me, 1580 CS will always be KPIK as in Pikes Peak, but that lasted only until Sept 1, 1987, when facility 51816 became KWYD, 2005 to KKKK, 2010 to KREL, 2015 to KHIG, and 5/21/15 to KFCS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1420, Sept 26 at 0334 UT, local break sounds like ``here on C-Q`` and weather without local clues, back to financial advice show; best from E/W bearing? Nothing fits in the NRC AM Log 2016, except by formats: the closest/most likely in AR, MO, TX are all various musix; KJCK Junxion City KS is talk, but WOC Davenport IA is too, and a regular here.

I check the WTFDA FM Database for Davenport, anything with CQ in it?? Yes! KCQQ, 106.5, classic rock, as Q-106.5, and no FM duplicate for WOC is listed. Are these two related anyway? Yes! FCC Queries show KCQQ and WOC are both licensed to Citicasters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500.5, Sept 23 at 0237 UT, the mystery whine is louder than I`ve ever heard it, really QRMing KSTP SBG, still loops east/west; harder to detect on lo side 1499.5. Thought to be somewhere around the New Madrid Fault multi-state area (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---