Re: [IRCA] Sept 26 - Victoria B.C. Canada TP final report

As Gary Debock will attest, 500kw Japanese stations with antenna arrays
designed for low angle radiation and strong regional coverage get out big
time.

774 Khz Akita often bests 750 Khz KXL Portland which is only 300 miles away
- it has everything to do with the salt-water path for sure.

The antenna is a pretty simple affair: A west/northwest oriented "Flag"
which is no more than a rectangle of wire 27' high and around 43' long.
On one vertical leg is a Wellbrook FLG100 pre-amp and impedance match. On
the other vertical leg (pointing in the direction  that I want to null)
is my "professionally" manufactured VACTROL remote termination controller
-- circuit boards made by OSHPARK in Portland Oregon
and hand assembled in Victoria, B.C. using pretty tough components.

The VACTROL does nothing more than present a variable resistance on the
null side of the Flag -- of around 1000 ohms. The actual sweet spot varies
but the VACTROL can remotely dial in any termination resistance from 300
ohm through infinity. Most of the sweet spots seem to happen between 900
and 1350 ohms.

The Flag, KAZ and Pennant antennas are known for their breathtaking
rejection of unwanted pests, noise sources and stations competing for your
radio dial.

At some point soon I will cook up a video series on the joys of using a
terminated antenna for truly superior and exciting DXing in a cluttered
medium - AM radio.

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -