Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-20

--- Begin Message ---
East Coast version is pre-sunset TA's.

With sunset around 4:15 p.m. EST (2115 UTC) late NOV to mid JAN, the bigger TA's can be heard as early as 1 p.m. (1700 UTC) at the seashore.

Saudi Arabia 1521 was once bagged at Chris Black's old QTH here in South Yarmouth, MA at 12:30 p.m.: almost 4 hours pre-sunset.

When I used to live in Billerica, MA - 15 miles / 25 km inland - two hours pre-sunset was typically the best I could manage.

The Algeria RASD clandestine station on 1550 (previously 1544) barely got to S-9 in Billerica but often hit S-9 + 40 on the same Drake R8A / mobile antenna set-up at Granite Pier in Rockport, MA less than an hour's drive time away.  Similar difference on Lesotho when the 1197 rig was high power: just above the crud at Billerica; often loud and regular at Rockport, Duxbury, Orleans, and other shore sites.  Fortaleza, Brazil 760: also about a 25-40 dB difference.

I heard India several times at the salt-marsh site in Rowley, MA but never at any home location even with better antennas.

Even here, not terribly far inland, I cannot hear as many TA's and Brazilians at the house as I can a half hour's drive away at Orleans, MA beach sites.  The band opens up there a good hour earlier as well: big guns 2-3 hours pre-sunset, more interesting stuff soon after.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Richard and Bill,

Sunrise enhancement isn't always guaranteed, even here on the west coast. What we usually have during the TP-DX season is somewhat boosted transoceanic reception starting at the first sign of daylight, and continuing for different durations, occasionally until bright sunshine is in effect (on the best days).

Sunrise enhancement at the inland home locations of the west coast TP-DXers is rarely as good as what is possible on the ocean coast, where it can continue for two hours or more (especially during exceptional conditions). The Victoria DXers' version of sunrise enhancement also seems to be more generous and longer-lasting than the Puyallup version, presumably because of their proximity to salt water.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

--- End Message ---