[IRCA] WWVA 1170 on ND pattern past KFAQ

--- Begin Message ---
** U S A. 1170, Sept 3 at 0255 UT, I find that IBOC-less KFAQ Tulsa unusually has heavy QRM from a gospel huxter in English, and making SAH of 80/minute = one and one third Hz. On the NRD-545, I`m getting it much better on the N/S wire, i.e. minimizing signal from KFAQ, rather than the E/W ALA-330S. On the DX-398 I try to DF it, and it seems to be only slightly different than KFAQ from the ESE: about ENE/WSW. Program seems to be wrapping up, referring to a ``Restoration message`` from the ``Bible School of Prophecy, Jacksonville``, running past hourtop and of course fading before any ID can get past KFAQ; or is it a sign-off/power-down?

Now to try to locate it. There are no 1170s in Jacksonville, FL, IL, or anywhere, so that`s merely the program source. Here it is, from Florida in fact:
http://www.wordofprophecy.org/
but no station affiliate list, and link to ``Radi-O-Grams`` is something else. Dead-end there. Now to look for likely 1170s by format and DF within reasonable distance:

In NRC AM Log 2016-2017, the only REL stations on 1170 are in AL, AK, CT, KY, MS (GOS), WV. We can rule out AK and CT. Could it be WWVA, really from OH site? Normally has a big null toward KFAQ, protecting each other. Format is primarily TLK, but also REL. From
http://newsradio1170.iheart.com/
you have to go thru the Bloomdaddy (??) drop-down to get to a Religious Programming page:
http://newsradio1170.iheart.com/articles/wwvareligion-programming-page-402500/religion-7483830/
showing WWVA is in fact gospel-huxtering at night, lots of different ones, but here`s an almost-match!

``Word of Prophecy (M-F 10:30p-10:45p) [ET]
Bro. Ray Pringle, Jr.
Jacksonville, FL  32247
www.wordofprophecy.org``

Nothing specified in the 10:45-11:30 pm period, but Pringle must be running longer. This means that WWVA had to be on ND 50 kW daytime pattern until at least 11 pm local. My DF on it also fits. Quite a rarity here; in fact I don`t think I`ve ever heard WWVA in OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of 1170, WWVA, OH, Alan Furst, Kansas City, replies: ``Glenn, I'm pretty sure you are right about logging WWVA. We used to hear then KVOO on the studio monitors in Wheeling when WWVA was off for maintenance back in the 70s. I've only logged WWVA as far west as Indianapolis. We were told it would interfere pretty badly with Tulsa if left on day pattern. WWVA continues the 'God Block' during evenings. Big money maker.`` Worth further checking west of Wheeling (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1170, Sept 5 at 0147 UT, gospel huxter under/mixing with KFAQ Tulsa, same situation as last time when I traced it to WWVA but without an ID heard. KFAQ talk is about fishing in national parks and marine reserve areas next to them, some of the best locations.

At 0158 UT the understation is wrapping program with address P O Box 511, Lynchburg OH 45142. KFAQ seems to be in a fade helping to audiblize the other: and at 0201 UT, definite ID as ``NewsRadio 11-70, WWVA Wheeling``.

So for the duration, here`s a chance for westerners to log WWVA, altho it`s really from Ohio, not West Virginia. It must be on 50 kW ND if it can penetrate KFAQ even west of Tulsa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---