Re: [IRCA] Dave Gleason's comments

> It *is* unfortunate from our hobbyist viewpoint that IBOC doesn't lend
itelf
> well to the hobby, but we'll get used to it. (Myself, I just wish
iBiquity's
> death-grip on the code were loosened enough that they'd permit people
> produce PC-based decoders a la DRM! That'd be nice to play with.)
>
> For the truly hardcore, I can forsee a time when people will run
analyses on
> IBOC signals at the bit level and see if they can ID a station (that
can't be
> received well enough for audio) that way!
>
>                Lee

I would imagine that the people who hold the
"death-grip on the code" (and I don't doubt
for a minute that's how they treat it) would not take
kindly to independent efforts to analyze the inner
workings of the process. What will probably happen
is that they treat it as a violation of DMCA. This
would make it quite difficult for those doing the
analysis to exchange information in public forums
such as this. DMCA is becoming a catch-all to
aid those kinds of business interests in their
efforts to stop independent research.

They don't care _why_ you do it. The reason you
cite above is innocuous enough. It doesn't matter.

You can be whacked with a DMCA charge by
a court that doesn't care about or understand
something as off-the-wall as looking at a
bit-level data stream to identify the station you are
hearing. It "can't" be that simple. You "must" be
up to no good. It could bankrupt you trying to
defend against that.

Similar case with Diebold voting machines.

Also, check out the current news about the
"Sony DRM rootkit" hidden on Sony-BMG
music CDs you play on your PC.

The idea that the FCC is in bed with these people
is amazing

Well that's MY one rupee's worth of thought.

- Bob