Re: [IRCA] Nice Visit

I figured I'll jump in here and make several comments.  The Bluff was on Point Lobos Drive just before the Cliff House (where it turns left and becomes the Great Highway).  Reception there was great, and better than other locations which I checked out after leaving Don's.  I believe the 850 was Baja as well, as the S350's orientation is a pretty good direction-finder.  Very clear music with a N/S orientation, while a weaker KOA was coming in on the E/W.

After leaving Don's, I went back to the same place and was comparing reception between the Blaupunkt car radio (good sensitivity and directionality (?) on FM and good sensitivity and selectivity on AM...direction is meaningless on it).  I had a ton of buzz, and I almost thought Don had found a way to sneak it into my coat pocket and have me take it with me.  I left there and went down the beach south of the Cliff House.  It turns out that my Honda has a 10-minute period after you turn the engine off where you can still do the power window thing.  That timer (or whatever it is) generates a ton of buzz.  As soon as I can't play with the window anymore, the buzz stops.  That was the first time I had the portable with me in the car.  Hets were everywhere, but I was only able to bring in a strong JOUB/774, moderate HLCA/972, weak JOLF/1242, moderate North Korea/657, and moderate JOBB/828.

The cops ran me out as it was near midnight and I paid no attention to the "no parking" sign.  Down the road a bit, and I got run out of Fort Funston by a park ranger who was not happy to have to turn off Letterman.  As I went inland from the SF/Daly City line, I found that the strength of the hets diminished pretty much linearly with the distance inland.  KENI pretty much disappeared as well.  Once home (50 miles south and 25 miles inland), hets were back, (it was also around 0400 PT) but nowhere near the strength up near Don's house.  If he could get rid of the buzz, the location would be outstanding.

By the way Doug, after we heard KENI blasting in, the first thing I told Don was that he was my witness.  I DID hear it.  I DID!  I DID!  Tonight was the strongest reception of them yet.  Still impressive (but not as much) was being able to show Don that there is hope for FM reception there, with the Blaupunkt picking up one station from Fresno (160 miles), 2 from Ukiah (110m), and 2 from Auburn (100m).  There are a lot of stray electrons in the air in San Francisco.

All in all, a very enjoyable trip!

Mike Hawkins
Campbell CA

The Kaskey Family <kaskeyfamily@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Had a very nice visit with fellow dxer Mike Hawkins tonight. Eventually
we ended up on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Mike has a dandy
Grundig Portable + a top notch car radio. We noted noise free reception
(except for slop from locals)....Someone was playing old rock music
without announcements on 850, at times totally atop KOA. Assumed it was
the Baja station. Most lower frequencies were alive with action. I was
not used to hearing this as my lower end at home is covered by a buzz
when aiming toward Asia. Our best ID was at 10:30 when we got a loud
KENI covering 650 with several clear IDs. We had heard 2 Coast to Coast
stations but assumed the loud one to be KSTE. Nope it was KENI.

Later at my place I had KENI in as well, atop the nasty buzz for good
IDs at 11:00 & 11:06. Looks like a good night.

don kaskey san francisco ca