Re: [IRCA] SE FL IBOC Status

> To quote directly from the document I referenced below:
>
> "At night, digital coverage fell short of the predicted nighttime
> interference-free (NIF) contours and the system had blended to analog
before
> reaching this contour."
>
> In other words, the system totally gave up on trying to use the IBOC
digital
> signal and reverted to analog before reaching the NIF contour.
>
> Any way you slice that, the digital signal was worse than poor and could
not
> be used at all. The analog (by virtue of being inside the NIF zone) would
be
> commercially - usable audio.

The WHJJ-920 day IBOC signal doesn't cover the whole Providence market
either.  If my experience, and that of the other engineer I've spoken with
is correct, then Fall River, MA does not get effective HD Radio signal
coverage.  Fall River, MA is an important part of the Bristol County, MA ADI
and well represented in the Arbitron diary distribution.  I cannot see them
simply writing off that much territory, especially since they do sell
advertising from that city and the further east New Bedford area.

The night signal from WHJJ is deficient through Fall River and much of the
west bay area of RI such as Warwick.  IBOC might be good in the Providence
city limits, but that is not where the bulk of the rated market population
lives.  Big problem.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI