Re: [IRCA] TA and TP DX Techniques

At 03:49 18/10/2005, you wrote:

Are TA split frequencies the same as TP's? ex. 738, 747, 756 ...??

yes to that one

What would be the top ten "first"  TA's to try for?

That's a difficult one to answer for the west coast because they're so unusual here.  Norway 1314 is usually the first to appear either with carrier or audio, but U.K. on 1215 has had audio traces here this season.  Years ago, there were many low band signals, but they seem very rare now.  1611 has had audio traces here, likely Vatican.  "Common" (more than once in the last 5 years hi) carriers are 1377, 1296, 1107, 864 and 675.  1017 was darned strong last weekend at Grayland.  Basically, if I hear 1314 I check 1215, then scan every 9 kHz channel.

What time ET and UTC, should a DX'er begin trying for TA's and when should he give up? (hi)

Depends on time of year, Doug.  Midwinter in low sunspot years (i.e. now), 30 minutes or more before your sunset, otherwise, sunset at receiver to sunrise in target areas of Europe.   Usually pretty pointless between end of April and mid August.  Also, in midwinter, there's a possibility of northern Europeans at our sunrise, just to confuse the issue, but I've never had audio.

Really low (1 and 0) K indices for several days often seem to be a necessary precursor.

Hope this helps.

best wishes,

Nick

P.S. after fabulous conditions at Grayland, things are still pretty good at home, with 30 Trans Pacific audios this morning, though most of those were unreadable in the domestic splatter.