Re: [IRCA] A new radio

> Thanks for the report. So again, it does not sound that IBOC cannot be
> DXed. It reminds me of HDTV, a friend has that in LA. One weaker UHF he
> cannot receive the HD station, but he can get the analog fine.

WBZ has it's IBOC on after the 6pm sunset time.  Still on as of 6:50pm.
It's given me a chance to see how it reacts to skywave fading and
interference.  I locked the JVC into digital only mode and captured about a
meg of audio at :  http://www.chowdanet.com/wbz_hd.mp3

You can hear it dropping out and being choppy enough to be unuseable.  If I
were to allow it to switch between analog and digital, it would be worse
with the 8 second difference between the two sources.  There is an indicator
that seems to mean stereo, and this is always cycling on and off as the
signal fades.  It's not pretty.  I'm reminded of the sound of XM Radio as I
go through a heavily wooded area.  In and out with echoey sound.

WBZ is only about 35 miles NNE of me, and puts in a great signal day and
night.  It's also very close to have much selective fading.  I am not
encouraged by the apparent fragility of the digital signal.  This is a 1-A
clear channel station, and I'm in their coverage area.

One thing that was noted is the short burst audio, much like FM meteor
scatter as one of my colleagues reported.

Well, more as it happens..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI