Re: [IRCA] Misc from Doug Pifer

Doug,

Thanks for sharing such an interesting set of e mails. Wow!. Those old
calls and locations sure bring back the memories. I remember visiting
several of those on trips to the valley in the 70s. Yes, indeed the old
KFIR on 1370. I remember going there with DX friends Bill Block and
Kevin Slater in about 1970. I think the station signed on about 68 and
was 1 KW daytime. . I remember I had a time logging them as KAST Astoria
is on 1370. With KAST presunrise of 500w in the about 68 or 69, I nabbed
KFIR one morning, but it wasn't easy 2 or 3 miles from KAST as I lived
then.  Early nulling/phasing with a loop/antenna set up as I remember.
   No wonder KFIR 720 has such a bad signal, putting out 50%. I always
fiqured with 1 KW on a low freq. they should do a lot better. I hope
they stay that way, 720 is one great channel for DUs/TP's. Even DYOK
Philippines I hear there dominant once in a while after KDWN fades out.
   I used to listen to KRKT FM on 99.9, their 70s pop C&W format was
great. That was after I left radio and was into record promotion.  I was
into that stuff for a time and used to talk with the AN DJ at KRKT at
that time. His name escapes me. I think he QSL'd my report as I remember
though.
  Yes, that post sure brought back the memories. Of yes, there used to
be a DJ in Portland that did a show on KEX. A British guy with the name
Peter Marlin Jones. He may have even managed KEX after Eric Norberg left
for KPNW.  He took over as GM of the old KROW Dallas OR on 1460 (5 KW
daytime). Bob & I drove to Dallas one weekend to do the morning show as
a team. The station was Top 40 at the time. Boy did we have a blast too.
   Ah, the good ol' days.....

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin