Re: [IRCA] 1240-KLOA Ridgecrest- Modern GY conditions

--- Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Doug Pifer - KE6GMM <oregon4wd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm seeing some possibilities here.
> >
> > Have conditions really changed that much in the
> last several decades
> > to make
> > graveyard freq's. much different than they were?
> (in comparison /
> > reference
> > to clears and regionals getting more crowded etc.)
> > 73- Doug
> >

> *** Yes, big time! It's much more difficult for most
> of us to hear
> stations at greater distances. Graveyard receptions
> of over 500 miles
> are far more difficult today than they were 30 or
> more years ago. All
> of the Class IV's run 1000 watts at night instead of
> the old 250, and
> many more operate 24/7, both of which contribute to
> a much higher noise
> floor.

> Russ Edmunds

When I ran the DX test at WKDK 1240 a few years ago I
got 2 reports from Canada. And the tuning box had a
bad capacitor in it we found out later. So I was
actually running a fair amount LESS than 1000 watts,
though the RCA BTA 1R2 was trying hard enough!

Powell

w4opw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NNNN!