[IRCA] Verifications, etc.

Interesting discussion regarding verifications vs taping.  I always enjoyed doing both, though, I haven't written a reception report in probably 25 years - lol.  Writing a good reception report was indeed an art.  Sometimes, I went to great means to get a verification.  A couple of times, when I knew the reception was definite, I think I begged.  I used to look forward to getting home from school and seeing what the mailman had brought and if it included a verification, my day was made.  I can remember sitting in class in the 8th grade writing a reception report while the teacher was speaking.  She'd stop and say, "Now Jimmy, what are you writing to radio stations again?  Put that away and wait until you get home to do that!"

I prize both my verifications and recordings.  I wouldn't part with either for any amount of money.  Alot of my QSLs are approaching the antique category.  Happy to say, IRCA revolutionized my enjoyment of the hobby back in 1967.  I had no idea others did what I was doing.  I'd been sending reports to shortwave broadcasters since 1965.  On a whim, I decided to send a report to an AM station figuring they'd think I was crazy.  Little did I know that reporting reception to AM stations was commonplace.

If only I'd had a computer back then!  The monumental task of digitizing all my recordings and interfacing them with my logging program has made all that old stuff quite accessibile and brings back many old memories.  In fact, my decision to pursue a career in computer programming was partially due to the fact that I have always enjoyed sitting in front of an electronic device for hours at a time.  My problem is that I have too many hobbies.  Motorcycling, MW/SW listening, hamming, metal detecting, programming (hobby as well as source of income), etc.  All my life, I have been cycling through them.  I eventually get back to each one.  It was simpler when I was in high school, I only had one...listening to mw.  Hope this post isn't too long.

Jim Nall