[IRCA] Solar Activity Questions

Thomas,

You are just the person I want to talk to.  I am very interested in the area you
seem to be expert in.

You said:
>Actually the more large solar flares we see as we approach solar minimum the
>sooner we arrive at solar minimum. Why? Because solar flares at this point in
>the sunspot cycle (cycle 23) accelerate the shedding the magnetic polarity
>related to cycle 23.

1.  How does this shedding occur?  Is that known?
It's a pretty complicated process that is hard to explain in layman's terms without losing meaning.
In all sunspot groups you have opposing magnetic polarities as related to the associated closed magnetic fields. These opposing magnetic polarities snap so to speak like a rubber band and you get a massive explosion called a solar flare.
In the process magnetic polarities from Cycle 23 are annihilated.

2.  In your opinion, how much of the "Global Warming" is caused by the sun, and
how much is man kind.

Our global climate is cooling not warming, with the cooling having started in the 1970's. Our atmosphere does not even notice man's goings on. See my website at http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf42.htm . The energy output of the Sun is currently at it's highest level in approximately 8000 years. That is keeping our current interglacial global climate from slipping into another "Little Ice Age" like occurred in the 1400-1700 period.

3.  When do you think the actual bottom of this cycle will occur?

Mid to late 2006.

Cycle 24 sunspots are already occurring but are of an
opposite magnetic polarity.

Yes check out this web link at http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast15feb_1.htm

This is interesting news.  I am glad you are a member of the IRCA.

In the last year I moved from California to Iowa.  But at the moment I am
working on a short term contract in Jacksonville Florida.  I suspect that in the
next few days I will be asked to go to Tallahassee for a week or two.  I wish I
as closer to you.  I would love to spend an afternoon talking about your field,
and experience.

Steve NG0G
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.