Re: [IRCA] IBOC DX'ing

I'd like to do a quick followup on my previous notes about the current IBOC
receivers.

One of my colleagues has a Kenwood receiver (KDC-MP628) like my stepson's
rig, but with the IBOC adapter.  Had a chance to try it briefly yesterday.
The fidelity change is noticeably better over the bandwidth-limited analog
signal.  Not excatly the night and day difference, but still there.  An
older full-bandwidth AM and good wideband receiver probably would not have
been much different.

We easily got the local WHJJ-920 and WBZ-1030 signals.  The WBZ signal has
an 8 second time difference between digital and analog which makes it
unlistenable in fringe areas.  The switching back and forth garbles the
audio beyond intelligibility.  I'm told they do that as they don't want the
delayed audio on the analog signal while so few digital receivers are out
there.  Their (bad) choice..

One thing we did do is try to get the WOR-710 signal.  Analog audio was
perfectly good in the parking lot in Providence.  The digital never did
decode, not even briefly.  I'd guess they have maybe a .1 to .3mv/m signal.
For comparison, WCBS-880 has a .5 mv/m signal over Providence per my
previous field strength measurements.

In conversation, I asked my friend to kisten at dusk on a non-local channel
to hear what skywave he can decode, and if his experience parallels that of
my other colleague with the Panasonic rig.  He would get short bursts of
audio much like meteor scatter.  I'm curious to see if the two decoder
brands react the same or not.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI