Re: [IRCA] DSP

On Monday 19 September 2005 10:05 pm, Patrick Martin wrote:
> Rick,
>
> It sounds like the 599 is worth a look. With all of the TP/DU DX I do,
> it might be a help with the R8. I have heard mostly the Timewave units
> worth the best on SSB, Hams, utes and things along those lines. This is
> the first time I have heard they do well on MW. It sounds like it is
> worth a look though.

Do make sure to get the latest firmware. There was a change quite a few years
ago. I have the latest version. Upgrades are still available last time I
checked,

The DSP can really remove noise at times. It can also really make a particular
voice in a jumble stand out, and this is adjustable via the front panel.
Changing the settings can sort of move certain voices to the forefront, if
that makes sense. The adjustable audio filters help a lot in this area too,
from acting to roll off lows, or tone down highs smoothly.

One of the things added in the upgrade was a sort of panoramic CW soundscape
with stereo phones supposed to be for copying CW. Sometimes that mode
actually helps on graveyard channels, believe it or not. The spatial spread
of the sound somehow helps at times.

What works more reliably is a phase switch on one of the headphone elements to
go from the normal sound to the out of phase, sort of center of the head,
sound. The effect of that can be really helpful lots of times. Other times it
makes no difference, or normal phase is better. Experimenting with this is
cheap enough. A quick way to test the idea is to just feed the audio to the
tip and ring of the phones via jumper cables, leaving the sleeve not
connected. That puts the phone elements in series and out of phase. If you
like the idea, yo can always fit a switch to reverse one earpiece's phase.

Rick Kunath