From: Milspec390@xxxxxxx [mailto:Milspec390@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:31 AM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] IBOC DX'ing

Hi Mark -

Beautifully put, enjoy point re noise on personal gear. Recall well Providence radio Battle of '60's. Friend Tom Black ran 'PRO news. Eight cars, ten correspondents, two-way radios, flashing lights, vivid reports tabloid style glued young audience during music breaks.

  WBRU and WPRO FM changed all as you note.

  'BRU didn't penetrate well but young audience flocked to it, put up with weak sig, intermittent stereo, to hear what they wanted, not what others said they must hear.  Fidelity irrelevant, content grabbed their attention and held it. IBOC promoters lack insight. Their 'IBOC or silence' diktat doesn't play well with today's informed audience.

  As you point out, younger audience has found non-radio means, leaving IBOC back in irrelevant dungheap of the 90's.

  Splattering spectrum with insolent noise seems a curious way to save radio.

Interestingly, local AM independent spent well on vacuum-tube mic pre-amps, new antler, ground, processors, etc. Audio excellent. Listeners increasing. Demographics changing from Gen-G.I. to our group. Station targeting 35+, emphasis on lower number, lowering still. Digital not in plans. Content. Compelling programming. Hi-quality analog.

  Well familiar with IBOC claims and counterclaims, they can only laugh.

                                                              =Z.=

PVZ
MNSVT KY, FL
BT