Re: [IRCA] MW-IBOC carrier power

You're so right - the figure I gave is the power in a "primary sideband" to
use iBiquity's nomenclature. Consider me guilty of grabbing the wrong value
out of my spreadsheet.

So here is the correct value: total power per sideband is 1592 Watts.

16QAM is used in order to get more bits through the system.

As to the "loudness factor" of IBOC, it depends..... The sidebands up to 10
kHz are transmitted as conjugates to maintain a constant envelope to normal
AM detectors. Whether you receive both sidebands and whether you receive
them perfectly depends on your receiver, propagation, and where you have
your receiver tuned relative to the IBOC station. Then there's the nature of
the QAM beast: some transitions are pure phase transitions so the envelope
detector sees no difference. It all adds up to a 7 or 8 dB difference (with
conditions I do not know) in the "audibility" of the IBOC carriers and
analog programming (measured empirically) if I remember some info from Barry
McLarnon correctly.

Chuck