Re: [IRCA] Patrick - Drake rcvrs

Willis,

Yes, I live a mile from the ocean and the swamp land (grazing land) near
me is under water in places all through the Winter. My ground rods sit
in water most of the year. It really helps. The only thing blocking me
at all are a few sand dunes.
I also only have 3 locals in the county. All run 1 KW days and 2 are 1
KW nights, the other 500w. So practically no RF to deal with. Many
distant stations can give higher S Meter readings than the locals at
night. My closest is 5.9 miles and it nulls this way (KAST 1370
Astoria). KKEE is 7.1 miles (1230) and KSWB Seaside (840)  is 8.9 miles
to the South. So all of that helps. The last "new" AM to come on here
was KSWB in 1968. The CP for 1570 is dead and I believe the 1700 X
Bander CP also died. No money in the county, plus selling spots for $5 a
holler doesn't bring in lots of money. Only 36K in the county.  The
locals are all 24/7,. but there is considerable dead air on them often.
That can go on for hours at times. The two Astoria stations (1230 &
1370) are owned by New NW BCers that owns stations in smaller markets,
but they don't have much maintainence. No CE for any of the stations, so
when they break down they have to get someone from Portland generally. A
different world out here away from the big city. The last time I
checked, both Astoria stations still had their old transmitters. KAST
was using the 1937 Raython and I believe KKEE uses one from about that
era too. KSWB replaced theirs about 12 years ago.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR