Re: [IRCA] IBOC DXing

I just sat down and spent some time with a Kenwood KDC-MP628 HD Ready
receiver.  This did not have the HD section, and I only looked at the analog
receiver sections.

The AM section was pretty good, no overloads anywhere on the dial.  Adjacent
selectivity was as good as any non-professional receiver.  It's not a Drake
by any means, but second adjacents to locals were fine.  First adjacents to
the Providence signals were chopped up pretty badly, as I would expect.
Sensitivity was OK, though very slightly less than other radios I've tried.
A better antenna would probably fix that.  One oddity is that it went from
530 to 1700.  Most include 1710.  No Radio Lubavicher (sp?) on that rig.

FM was not bad.  88.3 had a bit of splatter from a local 88.1 where the
Blaupunkt does not.  Sensitivity is adequate, and selectivity fair to good.
Again, no spurs noted.  I'm a couple miles from two Class B FMs, one with
IBOC.

All in all, a decent rig though not the top of the class.  Overall I like my
Blaupunkt better.

After the comment about the Panasonic not being a good receiver, I will make
sure I try before I buy..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI