From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scott Fybush
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:53 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Howdy

And as another new list member (and soon to be IRCA member, too, as soon as
I hit "send" on PayPal), here's my "howdy":

DXing for the last 20 years or so from Rochester NY, Deep Springs CA,
Waltham MA and (since 1997) back in Rochester. My interests include MW, FM
and TV, though my proximity to several high-power FMs means I don't do much
DXing on that band from this QTH. (I was about to say "from this QRM,"
which would be just as accurate.) I hosted the WTFDA convention in western
New York in 2003, followed by the NRC convention here in 2004. I hope to
attend an IRCA convention in the near future!

"Toys" at this end include a Drake R8A, a McKay Dymek DA5 amplified ferrite
rod antenna, long-delayed plans to put up a KAZ pennant or something similar
(though it's a fairly small lot I'm dealing with), plus FM and TV gear and a
DTV tuner that I just started playing with last week.

In "real life," I'm a professional broadcaster, having done radio news at
WKOX, WCAP and WBZ in Massachusetts, TV for a few years in Rochester and now
part-time news work at WXXI 1370 here in Rochester. I'm also a freelance
writer, writing about the radio industry for Radio World and other trade
publications. For the last 11 years, I've been the editor of "NorthEast
Radio Watch," a weekly update on the broadcast scene in the northeastern
U.S. and eastern Canada, available at www.fybush.com, where you'll also find
the weekly "Tower Site of the Week" feature and information about the "Tower
Site Calendar," the 2006 edition of which just came out. And for the last
three years, I've been the editor of www.100000watts.com, the national radio
directory site. Since some of the information that goes into the site is
gathered from lists like this and from individual e-mail from fellow DXers,
I've established a (free) courtesy login for the site that's available to
any DXer who contacts me off-list and asks.

When I'm not doing radio, other interests include numismatics and travel.
Those of you (I know there are several on the list) who made the convention
here last summer got to meet Ariel the DX Baby, who's now Ariel the DX
Toddler, having just turned two today. <g> A few of you also met Freckles
the DX Dog. And I've been married for 9 years to Lisa, who tolerates DXing
and DXers quite well and who actually worked in radio way back when, though
she's happy to be out of it.

I'm excited about what IRCA has to offer, and I hope I can be of service to
the club in the future.

Scott Fybush
Rochester NY