Re: [IRCA] Some Reflections on the End of ANARC

Re: [IRCA] Some Reflections on the End of ANARC

Eric,

	Some clarification is in order.  The Constitution does NOT GRANT any
rights nor was it ever intended to.  As stated in the Declaration of
Independence, people are "endowed by their Creator with certain
unalienable rights ..."  The purpose of the Constitution is to constrain
GOVERNMENT officials from trampling upon those pre-existing rights.  It
puts the government in chains so that the people can be free.

	The chains of the Constitution do not really apply to private
organizations.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I am NOT suggesting that radio
clubs or any other private organization SHOULD stifle the free speech of
members.  Personally, I think that organizations that do, shoot
themselves in the foot.  The appeal, however, should be to fairness,
justice, and common decency, rather than to the Constitution.  And I do
agree that ANARC would have done well to discourage anti-free speech
practices.

	In any case, with private organizations one can join or not join based
on whatever criteria one chooses to apply, and often there are competing
organizations in a given field of interest to choose from.  That is
certainly the case with radio clubs.

Art Peterson
Richmond, CA