[IRCA] Some Reflections on the End of ANARC

[IRCA] Some Reflections on the End of ANARC

Ever since I got into the hobby in the early 1980s, the Association of North American Radio Clubs (ANARC) has been a part of any DXers life. Now, with its sad end, it's time to reflect on what was right and what was wrong.

The acting Executive Director made a monstrous mistake in dissolving ANARC. This was a group that could have seized on a number of opportunities...I would only join ANARC member clubs. Now, with ANARC gone, is there any use for joining a radio club now? That remains to be seen.

One major criticism I have is that ANARC failed to include language in its by-laws that condemned suppression of free speech among its member clubs. Two clubs I have been members of suppressed free speech; I am not naming these clubs here for fear of legal action. Freedom of speech is a fundamental right granted by the consitutions of the United States and Canada; these rights should never be infringed upon. The right to free speech, especially when it comes to the DX hobby and the radio industry in general, belongs to the MEMBERS of the radio clubs, not to the management. They have no right to censor free speech, no matter how critical it is of the way the club or radio stations do business. One of those clubs that suppressed free speech left ANARC for dubious reasons; the second club was a member of ANARC when the umbrella organization ceased operations. Any club that suppresses free speech should not, and cannot, be welcome in any successor organization to ANARC. The clubs who suppress the free speech rights of their members either cannot accept criticism of any kind from the membership, or does not respect the constitutions of the United States and/or Canada.

Several of the member clubs of ANARC when it was dissolved have respected the members' right to free speech on the issues facing the DX hobby and radio in general, most notably NASWA and IRCA. The editors of the NASWA Journal (Bill Oliver) and DX Monitor (Phil Bytheway), along with the editors of the members' forum columns (Rich D'Angelo in NASWA, Rick Evans in IRCA), should be commended for providing a fair balance of, and representing the diverse viewpoints of, the membership and management, not just management alone.

(NOTE: This is the opinion of the writer, and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of those on this E-mail list server or the club. Reply time is offered to those with differing viewpoints.)

73, Eric (N0UIH)