Re: [IRCA] Spokane stations update

Hi Stan:

	Are you a Spokane native?  I grew up in Spokane and graduated from West
Valley High School in the 1970's.  I still consider myself to be a Spokane native and
will likely retire to the Spokane area when the time comes.

On 19 Apr 2005 at 10:54, Stan Weisbeck wrote:

> I can clarify a couple things about the Spokane stations.  KXLX 700
> Airway Heights is currently silent and I'm not sure why.  They are
> owned by the "KXLY Group" that also owns KXLY 920, KXLI 630, a number
> of local FMs, and KXLY-TV Ch.4.  KXLX was KMJY in Newport,WA, until KXLY
> bought it and they are diplexed off of 920's tower (assuming they're
> coming back).

According to the FCC website, which is notorious for not updating sometimes, KXLX
is licensed to Jim and Helen Stargell.  They owned the license for KMJY and maybe
sold the license to the KXLY radio group, but the FCC has not updated its database.
Or perhaps, the whole thing is in limbo right now.  Also, I wonder what happened to
KMJY's tower and transmitter.  This is a bit intriguing to me.

Please refer to the following URL about who the FCC says owns the station:
http://tinyurl.com/d5ahj

> I talked to a friend at KXLY last summer and he said they needed to
> sell one station under ownership rules and they were trying to sell
> 630.  I don't know if that is why 700 is silent currently.
>

> KMBI 1330 originally had the calls KCFA and they changed back around
> 1970, I think.  The MBI stands for Moody Bible Institute.

Yup, I remember the change.  I can't remember KCFA's format, but I think it was
religion as well.

> KDNC 1440 came on the air in 1963, became KXXR in the early 70's,
> eventually moved to 1550 as KSVY (stands for Spokane Valley) and
> licensed to Opportunity, WA(ten miles east of Spokane), and went dark
> about 1996. I knew the program director there and he said some teenagers
> broke into the transmitter building and trashed everything and the
> owners decided it wasn't worth it to repair it.

Do you know where the transmitter is now located?  Is it in Chester where the old
KZUN site was located?  Somewhere on the South Hill, or somewhere else?  Also, is
KXLI still using the old KZUN site?  I knew there was a problem with a nearby
housing development back in the 1980's, so maybe the whole site was abandoned.

> Finally, 1380 was originally KPEG, later became KEZE, and was finally
> KCKO before going silent about 1981. They were a daytimer but had a CP
> for 5kw-D/2.5kw nighttime directional but they never built it.

I remember KCKO.  I paid a visit to the station in 1979 and there was nothing in the
building except the transmitter and a cart machine.  According to the guy at the
station, another station, KJRB, had bought out the station and moved all the admin
people out.  The calls KEZE survives on FM today.