[IRCA] Spokane stations update

I can clarify a couple things about the Spokane
stations.  KXLX 700 Airway Heights is currently silent
and I'm not sure why.  They are owned by the "KXLY
Group" that also owns KXLY 920, KXLI 630, a number of
local FMs, and KXLY-TV Ch.4.  KXLX was KMJY in
Newport,WA, until KXLY bought it and they are diplexed
off of 920's tower (assuming they're coming back).

I talked to a friend at KXLY last summer and he said
they needed to sell one station under ownership
rules and they were trying to sell 630.  I don't know
if that is why 700 is silent currently.

KMBI 1330 originally had the calls KCFA and
they changed back around 1970, I think.  The MBI
stands for Moody Bible Institute.

KDNC 1440 came on the air in 1963, became KXXR in the
early 70's, eventually moved to 1550 as KSVY (stands
for Spokane Valley) and licensed to Opportunity,
WA(ten miles east of Spokane), and went dark about
1996. I knew the program director there and he said
some teenagers broke into the transmitter building and
trashed everything and the owners decided it wasn't
worth it to repair it.

Finally, 1380 was originally KPEG, later became KEZE,
and was finally KCKO before going silent about 1981.
They were a daytimer but had a CP for 5kw-D/2.5kw
nighttime directional but they never built it.

Pat Martin mentioned 1500 Eugene, Oregon.  I heard
them from here in Spokane as KPNW in about 1970, I
think, shortly before they moved to 1120.  I also
remember hearing KZEL 1540 Eugene from here in the
late 60s.

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA