[IRCA] A little Ho, Ho

Steve Ratzlaff wrote:
Hi Charlie,
Yours and "der kasketfeller"'s frequent extremely-humorous posts are what
keep me entertained on this list! Much better than the generally dry posts
otherwise noted. Thanks for the great humor, and "ho"'s alternate meaning is
not lost on me as well.
(I have a friend in Burnsville, but not being familiar with NC and too lazy
to get out an atlas, I don't know where that is in relation to Greenville.)

Steve,

Burnsville is some 20 mi. n.e. of Asheville. Much closer to Knoxville. In Yancey County. NC has
100 counties, even. I intend to "transit" each one. Only maybe 7 or so I haven't transited. I
made a very considerable deviation from an Indianapolis/Greenville trip fews back in order to
transit Yancey County. Very mountainous area.

Two "new" Interstates will transit NC. I-73 and I-74. I-74 starts (I think) in Chicago and is to end
in Wilmington (NC). I-73 and I-74 are co-sited for about 100 mi. out w. of here. Sign posts are
going up to mark the "New I-74." Along US-74. It finally hit me that US-74 and I-74 will co-site
between near Charlotte to near Wilmington.

If you will believe it, there are websites up about I-74 and I-73.

Finally I-40 starts in Wilmington (NC) and ends at Barstow (CA). I have traveled every mile of I-40.
When I-40 was finally completed inside NC, the Mayor of Barstow attended the official opening,
Each terminus is marked with a sign "Barstow, CA 2340 mi." or "Wilmington, NC 2340 mi." It
is, for me, a powerfully emotional thing, to photo both and place the photos side by side.

Intuition suggested to me that in heaving that bit of Americana in would interest and intrigue some of
us IRCAers.

There's even a website www.NCroads.com that describes at great length the NC system of roads
and highways. All roads and highways in NC are state-owned. There's a quite complex system for
numbering the four-number NC-XXXX "county roads."

Yes, there is the counterpart California website. But I believe that the NC site is the greater opus of
the two. NC-3 was "re-routed" in memory of the NASCAR race driver who carried that number "3."

Believe it or not. Enough for now.

73 de Charlie WD9INP/4

Steve in NE Oregon