[IRCA] Re: Tip for Western US listeners...

[IRCA] Re: Tip for Western US listeners...

About fifteen years ago, I tried to get a group together to purchase a struggling 50 kW daytimer (KXEN 1010 Festus, MO) to provide the northern suburbs of St. Louis with it's first AM radio service. Some of the ideas I had were trying new talent (there were very few stations who had the guts to do it), making the station a technological showplace (such as AM Stereo and the DX series transmitters from Harris, which had just come out at the time), and eventually evolving into a station serving the northern suburbs of St. Louis. The city of license would have been Hazelwood, MO. Of course, everything fell through; today, they're a 24-hour station with 50 kW/500 watts DA-2 (my proposal was originally for 10 kW/10 kW DA-N); they had a backup transmitter with 10 kW, fed non-directional. The late Rich Eddie called the station a "glorified 5-kilowatter".

If I want to buy a station nowadays, I would probably set my sights on KIRL 1460.

73, Eric (N0UIH)