[IRCA] DFing the Wobbler...part 2

I was suspicious of my results posted here a couple days ago when I made my first attempt, with my new Quantum QX Loop, to DF the Wobbler on 930. Since this one is the most frequent - daily lately - and strongest, it seemed a good one to try first.  Those results put the Wobbler well off to the north of Cuba.  After some humorous conjecture, I decided to seek help.

Thanks to some excellent tips and advice from Gerry Thomas, the man behind the Quantum products, and additional suggestions from Steve Ratzlaff, I was armed with a new plan.  My Quantum Loop, Quantum Coupler, and old Panasonic RF-B45 portable in hand, I set out on a DXpedition to my back yard.  Battery powered, everything resting on a wooden chair, and positioned away from the house but not so far as to be close to the power lines, I went to work.

As I mentioned in my previous post, assuming a Cuban connection I expected the Wobbler to be originating from 930 CMJS - 10kW - Ciego de Avila, CA - 21.86N 78.71W - bearing 164.42°, 320.5 statute miles from my location.  However, the results I got that first time were more on a line to the Bahamas or beyond to Puerto Rico.

Not surprisingly, the results were different this time.  The problem areas Gerry had pointed out to me, all were present in my listening location.  Fortunately, in the back yard they were not.  The results this time could not have pointed more directly at the CMJS location.  Even with my inexperience, I have some confidence in these results.

No other Wobbler frequencies were coming in at noon today when I ran this DF, but the next time one is coming in solid I will try that.  910 is a good candidate, likely Havana, though Camaguey is another 10kW on the frequency.  With one to the SE and the other to the SW of me, it should be easy to sort out, now that I've had a little practice and some good guidance.

For now I'll have to revert to the Cuban station theory, rather than my roving subs off the east coast hypothesis, intriguing as that one was.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (South East) Florida
[Panasonic RF-B45, Quantum QX Loop & Coupler]