[IRCA] Charley-One Down

        One down and maybe a few to go.

First, Ron, glad to hear you and your family made it through Charley okay. Charlie Taylor, you okay? Fortunately, the storm lost steam before it hit land. Charley?s Eastern eye wall passed over us, a couple of tornados touched down to our west, and plenty of rain - 6-8 inches. Max winds at 66 mph, but fortunately, only broken branches were the result here. Power has been on and off since yesterday, and rain / lightening continued until a while ago.

Local (Jacksonville) stations were a surprise. FM stations were on and providing better information than the AM stations - that is a complete turn-around from past storms.

910-WSRP (Spanish language) had an excellent carrier, but no audio; 1120-WSME (Camp Lejeune) was off; 1240-WJNC which has, in the past, been the best provider of information, was off; and 1290-WJCV was on with its normal gospel programming. Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base has two (2) base information stations (HAR, if you will) that operate on 530 and/or 1610 kHz ? not on. Today, 8/15, all are back on seemingly on RS, except for Camp Lejeune.

Wonder if local TIS / HAR stations were able to stay on/help in Florida?

One of WSRP's goals was to be available to help the Spanish-language population know what was going on when an emergency/hurricane/etc occurred....didn't work this time. Having worked with Hispanics, I'm going to try and find out what happened. I think that not knowing what is going on can be worse than knowing. Just my take.

My wife was in Raleigh helping her mother recover from surgery, so it was just me and the "livestock." A portable TV was enough to keep in touch with what was going on. Things seem to be returning to normal, and once again, we were fortunate!

        Very 73 and Best of DX de Mike