[IRCA] KSON-1240 is running Spanish in the afternoons - other SD news

[IRCA] KSON-1240 is running Spanish in the afternoons - other SD news

I checked this afternoon, and in response to yesterday's question, KSON-1240 is indeed running spanish programming in the afternoons now. I didn't hear any Radio Formula mentions, but the announcer mentioned several stations in his network, including 97.5 FM in LA, 740 AM in Phoenix, 1090 in Fortuna, 880 in "Portland" (Dallas, OR), etc. They were running a terribly lame talk show. Most of the callers couldn't figure out to listen to the phone instead of their radio; when he finally got a few callers who understood how talk radio works, all he could think to ask them was, "How are you?" and "Where are you from?". I bet even the airport TIS will beat these knuckleheads in the ratings... I'm surprised that with such a large Asian community here that there wouldn't be enough support for 24 hours of programming in Asian languages. We're oversaturated with spanish formats since some of the FMs on the San Diego side switched to Spanish a few years back.

Speaking of knuckleheads, XEPE-1700 was off again today. No sign of XESS-780 the last few days. XESDD-920 has definitely not raised power yet; they were still weaker than KECR-910 when I checked at 6am.

KCEO-1000 "The owl" is actually running a nice mix of classic and contemporary BBD music and some NOS/EZL at night, not oldies as had been expected. They still run brokered "snake-oil salesmen" during the day. These guys are close to getting a clue again. They had one of the best locally-programmed BBD/NOS formats in the country when they were KMLO 20 years ago.

73, Tim Hall
Chula Vista, CA

http://www.inetworld.net/halls/dx/index.html

All dates/times mentioned in my reports are Eastern Local Time for US/Canadian stations and GMT for all others.