[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs July 28-30, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs July 28-30, 2008

Propagation has been horrible, and combined with local line noise and lightning, I have little to report.

** CHAD. RNT, reactivated on 4905, July 30 at 0545 with talk clearly in French; signal roughly equal to Mauritania 4845, but Chad is better modulated. Still no match for nearby T-storm and local line noise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. R. Cairo, 11550.0, in the clear with WEWN missing, and as close as I could tell on-frequency for a change, July 28 at 2035 with very muffled, undermodulated talk, such that I could not even be sure of the language; at first thought German, but in talk bits amid much better-modulated Arabic music, decided it was French, as I later found scheduled 2000-2115. See also USA re the missing WEWN (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1419, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WEWN OFF THE AIR --- July 28 at 2035 I noticed that R. Cairo was in the clear on 11550, no het and not a trace of WEWN co-channel, and same past 2100. Nor could I hear WEWN on the other scheduled frequencies during those hours, 17510 or 17595. The higher ones could have been missing due to poor propagation. After all three frequency changes at 0000 UT July 29, WEWN still missing from 11520, 11870 and especially 5810 which is normally a monster signal. So what`s wrong? No hint on their website, of course.

Frequency schedule: http://www.ewtn.com/radio/freq.htm

WEWN still missing: July 29 at 0528, nothing on 5810; at 1313 nothing on 7425; at 1415 nothing on 11550, 15855, 17510, tho once again the higher ones could be inaudible here due to propagation.

So I asked Glen Tapley of WEWN what was the problem. He replied promptly on July 29: ``We will be off air for about two weeks for maintenance down time. We are replacing slew boxes, working on grounding, electrical, and the like.`` (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 1419, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WYFR on new 7730, July 28 at 0535 in German, ex-7780, so presumably that goes for all the 7780 transmissions, as in my previous report. I suppose some utility or military user of 7780 complained, but it sure took them a while (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1419, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: