[HCDX] RFE/RL Listeners In Armenia Find New Ways To Get Uncensored News

RFE/RL Listeners In Armenia Find New Ways To Get Uncensored News
http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeniareport/report/en/2008/03/CA21965A-
EF02-4F69-8E6E-FE89006ECAE3.ASP
(Prague, Czech Republic -- March 11, 2008) Radio Free Europe/Radio
Liberty has restored broadcasting on shortwave frequencies to Armenia to
counter the government's blackout on independent news.

RFE/RL President Jeffrey Gedmin said today, "It is disappointing that
because of restrictions imposed by the Armenian government we have to
take this step backward to an outmoded frequency we stopped using in
Armenia three years ago, but I'm happy to say it is working."

RFE/RL's Armenian Service reinstated broadcasting on two shortwave
frequencies March 8, a week after its regular broadcasts on FM frequencies
were taken off the air by its two local affiliates. The affiliates were complying
with an emergency decree by President Kocharian that allows only
government-sanctioned news to be aired. RFE/RL is the only Armenian
language foreign radio in the country.

Broadcasts are now one hour daily on shortwave, instead of the previous
three hours on local FM. But all programs can be heard on RFE/RL'S
Armenian language website, armenialiberty.org

RFE/RL has added more news items to the website and is updating its
content every hour of every day, to supplement the loss of local FM
broadcasting. Statistics suggest the strategy is working. Listenership on
RFE/RL's Internet sites for Armenia tripled in March, compared to a month
ago.

Listeners are also finding other ways to hear uncensored RFE/RL news. The
service is getting reports that Armenian bloggers are posting RFE/RL news
on their sites and that RFE/RL news programs are being repackaged and
posted on YouTube.

Please read my aricle on SINPO at (one line!)
http://zliangas.blogspot.com/2008/02/sinpfemo-better-signal-tech-analysis-
by.html
________________________
http://zliangas.blogspot.com  (radio tech , gadgets, grk ethics)
http://zlgr.multiply.com (radio monitoring site plus audio clips ) MAIN SITE
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/302315/ (Litohoro) 321199/Tinos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachgr    pictures upload
http://www.geocities.com/zliangas
http://www.myspace.com/310100806
http://del.icio.us/gr_geek1
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop

Order your WRTH 2008: