[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 16 (pt 2)

** ALBANIA. On 6110, Nov 16 at 2247 I tuned in to some vocal music accompanied
by bass strumming; maybe there were other instruments but this modulation was
very muffled and had no highs. Good strength signal and not much interference,
so quite a shame that R. Tirana`s Albanian service to Europe (and onward to
NAm) via Shijak does not provide normal quality modulation. At 2255 into anthem
without announcement, until 2256:30 and carrier off a minute later.

Much better modulation during Spanish news at 2306 on 7210, which according to
subsequent HFCC lookup is CRI Cërrik relay, Albania, Sounds like the customer
gets the better facility than the home folks. Official target for this is Spain
at local midnight, so if it just happens to carry onward at 280 degrees to the
Caribbean where 7210 is in an exclusive amateur radio band, who can complain?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria is really having problems. Nov 16 at 2218 I found a
good signal in English on 7500, but barely modulated. Had to turn the volume
way up to make it out, and if I were to tune up or down to US stations on 7520,
7490 without turning it down first, would have my eardrums blasted out. // 5800
was better modulated, but still quite a bit below normal. When this happens one
wonders if an old modulator tube is about to die, or whether someone simply
isn`t watching the levels going into and out of the transmitter. And whether
anyone at the station cares about how it sounds to the listener, without whom
the whole thing is pointless (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Re previous report that CBCNQ had disappeared from 9625 at 2230, I
looked for it Nov 16 at 2255, and could not pull it out between two REE signals
on 9620 and 9630; when both were gone at 2257, however, CBC Radio 1 was
mentioned as some program was wrapping up. Usual poor signal here (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. See ALBANIA

** CUBA [non]. R. República, 6135 via Rampisham UK, Nov 16 at 2245 G with no
jamming audible. Altho this 22-24 transmission has been in effect at least
since April, it is still missing from HFCC B-06, so is apparently Top Secret as
far as VT Merlin is concerned. Ditto 00-02 on 7205 and 02-04 on 7110. I assume
the lack of jamming has nothing to do with the lack of registration, as the
DentroCuban Jamming Command has hit it before, and the last I checked was also
jamming the 7 MHz channels. Could it be that Cuba`s jamming capacity is getting
spread too thin, so they have to make hard choices? Surely the priority número
uno is Radio Martí.

Then I tuned in 5970 at 2259 and found open carrier already with DentroCuban
jamming as R. República via Germany started up at 2300 with Radio Miami
Internacional ID, and half a minute later R. República opening and into
``¡Despierta, Cuba! Well above the jamming here.

Note: WRMI is not the same as Radio Miami Internacional. RMI brokers
programming on various other transmitters, and also runs the SW station in
Miami, WRMI, whose call letters apply only to broadcasts from there on 9955 or
7385.

I also listened for REE in French to Europe at local midnight, as supposedly
scheduled already on 5970 at 2300, but could not hear it in the mix, altho the
same to NAm was inbooming on 6055 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. I was not expecting to hear anything, checking R. Cairo in English to
ENAm, scheduled on 11885, and sure enough all I heard was WYFR in Portuguese at
2307 Nov 16 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Africa Numéro Un, Moyabi, 9580 was a huge blob of buzz with traces of
modulation, also bothering adjacent channels, Nov 16 at 2255 check and still
going when I quit at 2307. This is not jamming, but something very wrong with
their own transmitter, and has been going on for many days now, also sounding
the same on harmonic 19160 when it propagate. How can their engineers be
unaware of this, when any casual listener tuning in the station can`t help but
notice it, and indeed is prevented from listening to the station because of it?
Maybe they don`t have any engineers worthy of the title on staff, just people
to turn the equipment on and off (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN. DRM on 7365-7380, Nov 16 at 2305, would be Vatican Radio in English
to NAm, 60 kW at 310 degrees from SMG at 2300-2330. Must be strong enough to
demodulate, and sure spreading beyond 10 kHz, nominal 7370 (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Sponsored Link

$420k for $1,399/mo.
Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre