[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 16

** AUSTRALIA. 19m was finally back in business UT Nov 16 at 0635 check with
strong signals // from RA on 15515, 15160, and 15240, not 15290 as in previous
report, report on riots in Tonga. See also NEW ZEALAND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC has finally made its move from 9820 to 6180, Nov 16 at 0645 check,
VG signal on 6180, but not enough to completely blot out Brasília. Ignoring a
250 kW transmitter in the same hemisphere is not a sign of astute frequency
management. Furthermore, RHC now impedes reception of R. Educación, 6185,
México DF, which already has other co- and adjacent QRM problems, but had been
relatively clear at certain lucky hours.

Actually as I was tuning down toward 6180 I heard RHC first on 6300! That`s a
new mixing product, leapfrog 6060 over 6180, as RHC causes more damage (there
could be a match on 5940). There are now three intentional RHC frequencies in
English all evening on 49m, supposedly for different parts of NAm, while one
would do the trick, and not cause so much collateral damage to other
broadcasters trying to funxion on crowded 49m this winter. If RHC really needs
to run three antennas at different azimuths, they should put them and three
transmitters to go with them, on one frequency, such as 6000. BTW, the idea
that only 49m will propagate is not true either, as RHC on 11760 was still
quite well heard at this late hour.

Altho B-season changes have apparently belatedly gone into effect, RHC Spanish
is still on 13750, not 15370 as Arnie Coro`s sked showed, Nov 16 at 1339 check
and also about an hour later. R. Rebelde 11655 was also very good at the same
time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. CUBA JAMMING CANADA --- Sackville, that is, now that it is
broadcasting Radio República at 02-05 UT Tue-Sat on 9630. Just checked Nov 16
at 0200 and all I hear is jamming, but two nights ago Sackville 9630, and the
NQ Service on 9625, were inaudible here tho others in eastern NAm could hear
RR. The jamming now is much weaker than RHC on 9550, however. I wonder how 9630
is doing in various parts of ENAm, especially S Florida, and on into the
Caribbean and Central America --- is RR on top of the jamming anywhere? [Curt
Deegan and Jeff White in S Florida say RR is loud and clear, no jamming audible
there. If the jammers skip over S Florida, they are also skipping over most of
Cuba, effectiveness limited to groundwave.] Tsk, tsk, Canadá and Cuba were such
good friends, and now look what they`ve gone and done (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE. Nov 16 at 1448, Cuban music on 11675 --- could it be Cuba? Not so
strong, but then lyrix mentioned Puerto Rico instead; 1453 very brief
announcement, language unknown, into African hilife music. Quickly found //
13690. The only match for these in HFCC is RFI`s Pashto service at 1430-1530 on
both via Issoudun. However both went off abruptly at 1500* without
announcement. No, the B-06 RFI schedule shows these very two frequencies are in
Persian at 1430-1500 only:
http://www.rfi.fr/radiofr/statiques/pmo-asie_hiver2006-2007.pdf
And no Pashto service is even mentioned on SW.

BTW, this same grid is the one which does show the English frequency 5920 at
1400-1500, under Near/Middle East/Asia, which I missed before in DXLD 6-170.
Also, I misspoke at the beginning of World of Radio 1336, saying the RFI
broadcasts at 16, 18 and 21 on 17630 via Guiana French are in French; should be
Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. ANO harmonic, 19160, Nov 16 at 1349 buzz with some audio mixing; both
were stronger at 1451 recheck, peaking 7 over S9 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GOA. AIR Sinhala service, 9820, Nov 16 at 1322 dominant as usual with S
Asian vocal music; during a brief pause at 1324 I could make out something
underneath, presumably China (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA [non]. V. of Africa, 17725 via France, Nov 16 at 1453 with the usual
no-nonsense announcer reading some kind of declaration with enumerated points
against FIFA for its ``unjust, corrupt`` system whereby in 2006 it is
unacceptable that the WC ``will be`` in Germany, 12 different cities too far
apart for convenience, but it was even worse in the USA in 1994 when all the
cities were not even in the same timezone. Very little hum this time! (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. RNZI, 5950, good signal with Bell Bird, 1259 Nov 16, 1300 6-pip
timesignal (all sounded the same), and into RNZI News, top story being the
strife in Tonga, where the business district of the capital Nuku`alofa has been
destroyed by pro-democracy rioters, and the burning is spreading to neighboring
towns. Geez, that could give democracy a bad name. But absolute monarchies are
really passé in XXI. Will this remote, exotic story every make into US news
media? For a change, RNZI DRM was also on the air when 7140-7150 was checked at
1313  (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI, 15105, Nov 16 at 1342 in English under continuous extraneous
noise from own transmitter. This has been going on for a long time, and it`s
beyond me why they don`t fix it or turn it off, get a relay on some transmitter
that works properly. Worse, B-B-C chimes were just starting up co-channel
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. At first unidentified, 11975, Nov 16 at 1420 with some nice Asian
music, break for talk at 1430, more music at 1435. Really not sure of language,
but figured I could look it up later. Nothing in PWBR ``2007``, and the only
HFCC listing is for VOR Armavir 110 degrees, but not in the VOR sked at
http://www.bclnews.it/b06schedules/vor.htm which only covers, English, Russia,
Urdu and Spanish. From last year`s language schedule in WRTH 2006, at this hour
it looks like either Urdu or Pashto/Dari. Ahá, then I go to
http://www.vor.ru/Pashto.htm and there it is, VOR`s Pashto service B-06:
1300-1500 11975, 5980, 4975, 4965, 972, 801, 648
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Another Thursday morning, another try at Live from Turkey on VOT.
Tuned in at 1330 Nov 16 and once again found 11735 beamed eastward providing a
stronger, steadier signal than // 12035 beamed northwestward toward us. But
there was WYFR in French on 11740. From 1350, LfT, with studio guest talking
about Israel vs Palestine; 1406 musical break, 1410 gave phone number, but
signal deteriorating on both frequencies, could not really copy 16% of what was
being said, so gave up. No David Crystal, whose voice would have enhanced
readability, in contrast to the mumblers at the mikes.

Also checked the VOT Turkish frequency, 15350, at 1345: big carrier, but barely
modulated in Turkish talk and music. WYFR was just closing on 15355, to return
at 1400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Preacher on 8765, Nov 16 at 1317, perfectly readable, except with
some ute carrier cutting on and off every few seconds on the low side. Did not
stay for ID, but from previous experience this is WNQM 1300 Nashville, mixing
product with super-strong WWCR at the same site on 7465. I could barely hear
the WWCR audio underneath on 8765. Seems to me there is some maritime station
on 8765, but apparently they have not complained (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Motor-boat-type jamming, lower pitched than e.g. Cuban, and all
of the same pitch, heard on 6005, 6035 and 6065, Nov 16 at 1310. 6005 was
bothering VOR in Japanese, unlikely a deliberate target. The three frequencies
30 kHz apart instantly suggest 6035 plus spurs, where the jamming is no doubt
bad news for Bhutan, but BBS not likely targeted either. The only possibility
appears to be BBCWS via Korea South on 6065, listed in HFCC beaming westward,
but not on BBC`s schedule at http://www.bclnews.it/b06schedules/bbc.htm in
Mandarin or any other language. A bit later, heard the same jamming sound on
7395, again with no known target. Perhaps there is a new clandestine that has
shown up on some or all these frequencies. Is BBC Mandarin really on 6065? Not
shown in the schedule after 2100 local or any other time, if this is
up-to-date, at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/chinese/simp/hi/schedules_and_frequencies/default.stm
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Sponsored Link