[HCDX] Mongolia and other loggings from Ukraine

Greetings from beautiful Ukraine, from Vlad Titarev's dx palace!  Spent a
very late eveing dxing the tropical bands, etc and have a few interesting
observations.

CUBA   6000 03:47 16 August 2006.  Tuned into RHC to hear Arnie Coro's DXers
Unlimited at surprisingly good level with an S9 + 10 signal.  Thought I
might here their 05 to 07 transmission to ECNA but nothing heard on 11760
except BBCWS nor 6060.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

UKRAINE  9945  0500 16 August.  I'm pretty sure that I heard Bob Padula
report RUI on 9970 at this time signing on.  This is not the case.  On that
freq is RFI in French, I believe, while Ukraine's sole transmitter at this
time is on the usual 9945 with a good signal here in Ukrainian. As for 15675
at 0800, I'm obviously in their skip zone and so it's barely audible here at
that time. (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

RUSSIA  9690  0623  16 August.  Tatarstan Wave.  Always interesting to me to
monitor this station from Samara.  Sign's on always at 10 minutes past the
hour with a single IS, then ID in Tatar, then the IS again once, and ID in
Russian.  Most programming is in Tatar, although today, Thursday August 17th
at same time, virtually the entire broadcast was in Russian when I checked
at 0620.  Superb signal.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

ASCENSION IS.  9525 0704 16 August.  Star Radio at very good level with
English news.  ID at 0710. The evening broadcast is apparently cancelled.
(Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

NIGERIA  15120 1740 16 August.  Voice of Nigeria finally has it right!  Very
powerful signal with excellent modulation and in the clear with English
business news, and then the news about Nigeria program from 1742.  I hope
they keep it up!  Interesting local perspectives too.  A rarity from Africa
these days, so I hope they keep it up.  Heard also at 0604 on 17 August with
S9 + 20 signal over a relatively strong CC station cochannel.  Where's the
freq coordination?  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

ETHIOPIA  5500  1749  16 August  Voice of Tigray Revolution.  Very good
reception with Horn of Africa music.  // of 6350 mostly covered by ute
traffic (the latter is very much more present in Ukraine then on the WCNA).
(Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

INDIA  3365  1821  16 August    AIR Delhi with very good strength with
Indian music.  Best in LSB.  Why doesn't the WRTH nor PWBR list these?  Vlad
immediately ID'd this for me.  Thanks!  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

NIGER  9705.0 2148  16 August   La Voix du Sahel.  Another welcome African.
Very well heard here the entire evening.  African music until 2150, then
drums for more than a minute, and ID in French, mentioning a special
program.  S9 + 30 signal and great modulation.  Hope they stay.  (Salmaniw,
Kremenchuk Ukraine)

AUSTRALIA  4835  2155  16 August.  VL8A ABC Alice Springs.  Don't normally
hear the 60 m Northern Service Aussies in Victoria, and quite a dx catch
here in Ukraine.  Have to use LSB to avoid the Peruvian on 4835.4.  Good
morning heard, and ABC ID just before ToH.  Improved over the next
half-hour.  Fair signal.  Parallel to 4910 VL8T Tennant Creek, but poor
under cochannel.  Katherine not heard, though.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk
Ukraine)

TAJIKISTAN  4635  2220  16 August.  Tajik Radio 1 is the most powerful 60
meter signal here from CIS countries.  Presumed Tajik with mentions of
George Bush, terrorism, the BBC, and Jimmy Carter.  They once broadcast
frequently in Russian, but no more.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

NIGERIA  4770  2226 16 August  Radio Nigeria Kaduna.  An S9 signal but
distorted with overmodulation, so virtually impossible to follow.  A sick
transmitter it seems.  Reminds me of Radio Son La in Vietnam!  (Salmaniw,
Kremenchuk Ukraine)

TIBET  4820  2230  16 August  Xizang PBS in Lhasa is very well heard, as are
most of the 60 m Chinese stations.  Chinese here with Very good signals.
Also Tibetan on 4905 and 4920 at 2247.  CNR on 4800 in Chinese is
exceptionally powerful too at this time.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

MONGOLIA  4830  2232  16 August   Mongolian Radio HS2.  My most interesting
60 m logging.  Very martial sounding music a la Pyongyang, but the language
is totally different.  Not at all oriental sounding.  Hints of slavic words
but unlike anything else.  Vlad says it sounds Kazakh to him.  To me it's
very similar to Tatar, which makes sense, I suppose.  Fair to good at times
with a solid S7 signal.  // to 4895 which at times is more powerful and 7260
which also is well heard except for adjacent splatter.  All in parallel
initially, but when rechecked at 2302, 4830 and 7260 were in Russian, but
not 4895.  I could not find anything showing a Russian transmission at this
time.  By 2310, then reverted to HS2 programming, again all in //.  I'll
keep an eye on this during the days to come (although very late at night
here!).  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

MAURITANIA  4845  2236  16 August   Radio Mauritania at "nuisance levels"
with Arabic programming.  The most powerful (and one of few) 60 m Africans
remaining.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

BRAZIL  4885  2238  16 August.  Brazilian stations start to fade in about
this time, while most of South America is still in daylight.  I didn't stick
around to ID which of the 3 Brazilian stations this one was.  Fair level.
(Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

EQUATORIAL GUINEA  5005.0  2251  Racio Nacional, Bata.  Good to very good
reception with African high-life music with a hint of Latin influence it
seems.  Non-stop until 2258 and directly into the NA through to 2300.  I
recall hearing this one regularly at excellent levels in France a few years
back.  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

UKRAINE (non)  11980  0600  Despite reports of the flea-powered hobby
station, Dniprovska Khvylia (Dnipro wave), not a peep has been heard from
them.  I did hear a brief oc this morning at 0558, but this lasted all of 30
seconds or so. Vlad tells me this may be a weekend only station as is
located in or near Zaporyzhia.  I'll report if I hear them...one of my goals
of this visit!  (Salmaniw, Kremenchuk Ukraine)

     That's it for now from sunny and warm Kremenchuk, Ukraine.  Tomorrow
evening I'm off to Dontetsk and a village in Luhansk oblast in the very
south-east of the country.  Towards the end of the month I'll be in the
west.  Will try to report as I can.  By the way, receiver used was Vlad's
AOR 7030.  Recorded on an external mp3 recorder.  Antenna either a inverted
L or his K9AY.  City location.  RF is much worse than 4 years ago,
especially on MW during the day making this band virtually unuseable.  Sign
of the times, I suppose.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.