[HCDX] Latin American logs from the past evening

[HCDX] Latin American logs from the past evening

Hello to all of you !

Yesturday, I got to do some DX'ing, mostly on SW, though just before going to bed, around 11PM, I heard something on 1180 that was maybe Petrolera (YVLQ, I think are the call letters) out of Venezuela. Here inland, at sunset in late summer / early fall the skip angle is too low during auroral conditions around sunset, so just before midnight, the band may sound well better than when I writed my first report. The first signals to fade-in on MW were aurora subdued east coasters like WPHT-1210, then I listened to SW and after 11 PM some Latins on 1100, 1110 and especially 1180, but I decided to sleep then.

On SW, the highlight was Guatemala, as I heard it on two frequencies, on 4820 (instead of listed 4825 ?) and very poorly on 4800. Otherwise, it was clear that the solar activity was high, as the cuban bubble jammer was often making Marti almost inaudible.

Well, into the logs right now:

4800 GUATEMALA, Radio Buenas Nuevas, San Sebastian SEP 16 0208 - Tentative w/ talk, music at 0109, then possible ID w/ TC then a song started (don't know what marimba sounds like, so couldn't tell it was that) and also the reception conditions deteriorated too much. Very poor and when the song after 0109 started almost nil ! (Chiochiu-QC)

4825 GUATEMALA, Radio Mam, Cabricán SEP 16 0153 - Tentative w/ religious talk, mention of "Mam", "alma" and "spirito humano". At 0200, promo w/ phone numbers, then back to man w/ rel. talk. On 4820 (actually 4819.2) there is Honduras listed in PWBR, but I clearly heard a mention of "Mam" as I listen right now to the tape. Maybe it was "alma" and I mixed out with "Mam" due to unclear voice and poor reception. Sad, there weren't anymore clues during the promo aired at 0200. Anyone hearing Radio Mam on 4820 instead of listed 4825 ? Tape available if anyone is interessed. (Chiochiu-QC)

6030 CUBA, bubble jammer SEP 16 0254 - Strong over / under Marti. Soemtimes totally demolishing it ! (Chiochiu-QC)

6060 CUBA, Radio Havana Cuba, (site ?) SEP 16 0210 - w/ liner then man with time-checks "Las diez diez minutos horá especial del verano en todo el teritorio naciónal de Cuba; las cero dos diez horás tiempo universal coordinado en cualquier parte del mundo", then announced the "Revista Informativa de la Noche" program will continue, then gived the web-adress of RHC followed by apparent continuation of the program, but I switched to 6185 then. The auroral condx removed the 6165 QRM mich makes it hard to hear during normal condx, unlike other RHC channels. (Chiochiu-QC)

6185 MEXICO, XEMPM, Radio Educación SEP 16 - End of jazz selection, then announcements, ID w/ time-check, promo, then cafe-concert guitar based Spanish music (not flamenco !) followed by cuban jazz. Only taped after the promo. (Chiochiu-QC)

And on MW:

1180 YVLQ, Radio Petrolera, Ciúdad Ojeda, Zulia ??? - Tent. w/ tropical and vallenato mx over / under more fadey than usual remains of nulled WHAM. Not // 5025 or 6030, so I assume YVLQ. Didn't match the format of the 600 kHz reception either. I don't know on what occasions, YVs can carry vallenato this style of accordeon based Colombian folkloric music. In eastern Colombia, Venezuelan "llanera" music (folkloric music based mainly on harp and 4 cords "cuatro" quitar) is popular on the otherhand and I even heard myself such music on La Voz de tu Conciencia 6010. Spanish on 1100 and 1110 as well but too tired to pursuie. (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Chiochiu DX'ing from Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), QC using Sangean CST-818 with random wire in the yard
and Sanyo MCD-S830 with ferrite bar antenna

Had a rough day: did vomit my breakfast this morning and did meet a Haitian driver who took us on the Taxi from the Notre-Dame hospital through Pierrefonds. Very impressed that I know so many things about his country, both political, geography, music and radio (I telled him I was into DX'ing !). He had his 15-year marriage annyversary and he founded a new job, so he was very happy. He learned me interesting things too, like the fact Haiti became independent from France in 1804. Well...

I have to leave right now !
Going do some DX tonight too of course,
Be the good DX stuff eith you,
Bogdan Chiochiu