[HCDX] a very few Latin American MW logs from the past two weeks

[HCDX] a very few Latin American MW logs from the past two weeks

Hello to all of you !

As most if not all of you have noticed, my DX activities slowed down a lot the past two seasons. A lot of things, mostly negative ones happened in my life:manic depression and testicular cancer with chemistry-therapy are the two baddest ones. Due to my manic depression diagnosic and especially anxiety (mostly due to my Asperger), I was taking a medication that gived me lots of hungry, expotion to diabete and maked me sleepy and enabled me to concentrate on catching up weak and QRM-filled signals. I also had meetings with other manic depressives persons at the "Revivre" (Realive) association from February to May each Thursday. The only great DX last season was YVRQ-910 in the car-radio (briefly and tentatively noted again last night) and bits of France-1494; not that bad, but I wasn't really active (a very little bit from time to time and very few reports, I didn't answered all my e-mails like I did in the past, etc.). Now, however, I'm much better: almost no anxiety at all except for the knowing that the chemistry-therapy will came. I'm not taking my medication anymore (zyprexa) and I plan to return to Lithium again wich has less secondary effects and it's excellent for all, but the anxiety, as I'm a little bit depressed in the morning and early afternoon, but very high in the evening. I've solved some personnal problems, so I'm less anxious, so at least I can take something else than zyprexa wich is way too much for me. I hope you understand that I still and probably I will ever love DX'ing, but I can't control all the things all the time. Into the radio things now:

In the past few weeks, I was able to pick up some Latin American MW DX. The most interesting ones were tentative logs of Venezuela on 1110 and 910 as well as extremely faint hints of Spanish under Rebelde-600 and WICC. No South Americans were confirmed with an ID, but several Cubans were (all Rebelde unfortunatly, but for the month of August is the best I'ved ever see). I didn't even report Turks and Caicos wich close to midnight is fair to good, but never VERY good, excellent or LOCAL-like (not that surprising for that time of the year):

Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ internal ferrite bar antenna
QTH: Pierrefonds-Est (Montreal's West Island), QC

600 CUBA, CMKV, Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris AUG 16 0457 - Woman talking about imperialism and about what she thinks as lack of rights in an imperialist system for 2 minutes and half or so until very close to 0500 when I heard "Rebelde, La Havana" jingle followed by "En La Havana, exactamente uno en punto de la madrugada" followed by a program of old-fashionned Latin music. The female announcer talked about a Mexican female singer wich was "mucho mas (conocida ?)". Fair-good over/under relatively minor QRM (MOSTLY, but NOT all WICC; faint trace of a second SS underneath - previously logged YNLD, or unlogged YVQB and HJIJ);
// 670 (clear with minor next-to-adjacent CINF-690 local splatter, but often weaker, sometimes stronger though), 710 (way under WOR with 670/730 het) and 5025 (600 and CMQ-670 were often stronger and with less rapid fadings !). (Chiochiu-QC)

910 VENEZUELA, YVRQ "AM Center", Caracas, DF AUG 29 0117 - Tentative; weak with salsa music fading in and out near 1 Amir restaurant. When we got back (at 0144 UTC - 2144 EDT) we founded WABI with fair signal. (Chiochiu-QC)

1110 VENEZUELA, YVQT "Radio Carupano", Carupano, Sucre AUG 13 0311 - Tentative; Meringue music; Strong, but way under WBT wich was VERY strong. With WPMZ on this channel gone (Spanish domestic, coverted to an Oldies format), the only easily heard Spanish on this channel can be from Venezuela. (Chiochiu-QC)

1120 UNITED STATES, WPRX, Bristol, CT AUG 29 0036-0054 - While driving near my first high-school in Dorval (Jean 23), I did notice this one often very good on peaks of 20 or 30 seconds, but with 2 or 3 minutes cycle fading and splashed by almost urban-quality WBBR-1130) with salsa, meringue and bachata and "Once-Veinte La Puerto-Riquenisima" ID. The bachata tune was from either Aventura or Extreme. This can be easily confunded with WMSW out of Hatillo, PR as reported by Jim Renfrew on the IDXD of NOV 13, 1998 wich is really from Puerto Rico; is for that reason that I report it. This one as well as 910 at 0117 and 530 very weakly (RVC) where the only spots with Spanish on the dial last night. (Chiochiu-QC)

On SW, the only really interesting station was an unID Spanish on 4975 wich was probably Radio del Pacifico from Lima, Peru; I picked it up at the end of July, after two weeks of vacation in the Laurentians (NNW of Montreal; there I picked up some Es, because the person I was to had an old AM/FM tuner made in the early 70's and a Yagi antenna, the only ID I remember was from WTUG 92.9 (Today's R&b and old-school" wich was mixed with weak WEZF - a really blowtorche wich covers most of the Southern Quebec as well as Vermont and at least 1 quarter of the NY state, their coverage came close to that of WHOM 94.9 in Mount Washington, NH).

Before writing this report, I taked the Realistic DX-150A communication receiver out of the basement and in the next few days I think. I will try to connect the Quantum loop to it; I think I need to place first some wire and then connect the Antenna to the wire. I won't have time to do it today, 'cause I have a German class. I started a basic German classe of 3 weeks and only went to 1 of this classes the last week, because I was shocked when I learned that despite the cherurgy for taking off one the testicle wich was hard like a rock) the non-seminom testicular cancer is coming back and that I'll need chemical-therapy. Also, I was often down with a big lack of concentration.

Well, that's it for now !
Hope that all the things will be going well for me and hope all of you will have a great 2005-2006 DX season !
Be the good DX stuff with you,
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom