[HCDX] Pacific Radio Newsletter No.4

****Pacific Radio News**** ****August/September 2005****

Wellington, New Zealand No.4

1. Great to get such positive feedback on the last issue! Now, to
keep each newsletter shorter, we'll do them fortnightly instead of
waiting for a full month to roll around each time:)

2. Lots of new stuff on-line at www.radioheritage.net too! Have you
read the story about the Sea Monster that terrified Tokyo in 1947? An
Australian website calls the story 'the Japanese version of War of
the World's' and the broadcast from WVTR ranks up there as one of the
greatest hoax broadcasts of all time.

3. Exclusive to the site is a commentary from one of the original
script writers of that broadcast so you won't want to miss it. He
claims their Sea Monster gave birth to the whole Godzilla phenomenon,
so read the story for yourself!

4. We released a triology of WVTR stories to co-incide with VJ Month.
The others are a personal insight from Shelby Newhouse [Chief
Announcer at this AFRS station in 1945] and a Christmas 1945 article
from 'Pacific Stars & Stripes', and lots of exclusive photos to enjoy.

www.radioheritage.net reached two new daily records for visitor
numbers in the last few weeks. Thanks for passing the word on to
friends and colleagues. We've now passed a quarter million hits since
we went live, and visitors from 69 countries have stopped by.

5. New Zealand may seem a small place, but it's got an awful lot of
AM radio stations! We've listed 150+ now on air in the New Zealand AM
@ a Glance guide, the first in our new guide series. Easy to figure
out who, what and where's on air with an easy glance.

6. The first part of our Early Australian AM Radio series is also now
on-line, covering the 1919-1929 period. In those days, radio pioneers
had experimental licenses to broadcast music and talks on the
standard AM band and were more popular than many commercial stations
that came along in the mid-1920's. We've got names, places and calls,
and invite anyone who knows more about these pioneers to give us a
call.

7. Australia also features in our first monthly column from Adrian
Peterson. He recalls special flood broadcasts from northern NSW and
early listening days of the 1940's. Adrian will be progressively
joined by other columnists over the coming months. Check them out!

8. As mentioned in the last newsletter, we've got a whole lot more
coming down the pipeline, ranging from AFRS in China-Burma-India,
Radio Afghanistan in the 1970's, Tokyo Rose, Singapore's Radio
Shonan, as well as a new radio serial, the story of KFSG Los Angeles.
Or, more accurately, the story of a lady whose church owned KFSG and
who made the headlines when she claimed she was kidnapped!

The Emporium Radio Heritage Store (c) has been open a month now, and
the Top 40 Radio Book List has recorded thousands of hits! Check out
a wide range of well priced books, including the 2006 Passport to
Worldband Radio due out soon, our Book-of-the-Month from US DJ Corey
Deitz and much more. Great prices no matter where you live, and every
purchase contributes funds to protecting radio heritage. Visit now!

9. The gift packages at The Emporium are also recommended. They're a
nice way to contribute funds towards keeping the site free for
everyone to access as content grows. Coming soon, we've also got
fantastic merchandise that's exclusive to The Emporium. Great
heritage designs with t-shirts, mugs, 2006 calendars, greeting cards
and much more, so check the Store pages regularly for availability!

10. Shortwave Radio Project needs a few good volunteers! Just four
folks actually, to help Bruce Portzer create the shortwave version of
the Pacific-Asian-Log. We've had a growing number of requests for
such an on-line guide, and of course, it'll be searchable,
downloadable and updated and as detailed as the mediumwave version.
If you'd like to contribute some time over the next couple of months,
email Bruce today at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11. Work on the Art of Radio (c) Hawaii story is progressing, and is
looking good. Remember, if you've got examples of Hawaiian radio art
to share [such as logos, letterheads, car decals etc] we'd love to
hear from you. The Art of Radio (c) Japan still ranks the most
popular of all stories currently on the site.

12. Philippines, early New Zealand AM radio, and AFRS Mosquito
Network, Jungle Network, Pacific Ocean Network and Hawaii's WWII
Pineapple Network are all on our research radar at present. If you
have memories, memorabilia, images or anything at all to share about
these subjects, do drop us a line at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We're a registered non-profit organization and your continued support
is helping this Pacific-wide project grow. Please tell your friends
and colleagues about www.radioheritage.net. Ask us about 'webguff' as
well, the partnership where you get great website design, development
and delivery and contribute towards keeping radio heritage safe in
the Pacific. We have no financial support from any government or
broadcaster.

Warm regards from all the team at www.radioheritage.net

David Ricquish
Chairman
Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

Our mailing address is PO Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand and more
contact details are at www.radioheritage.net.

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom