[HCDX] Pacific Radio Newsletter #3 August 2005

[HCDX] Pacific Radio Newsletter #3 August 2005

****Pacific Radio News**** ****August 2005****
Wellington, New Zealand               No.3

1. Welcome to our growing number of readers this month, especially in
Hawaii. Read on for more about how you can help our Art of Radio (c)
Hawaii project. The Art of Radio (c) series are now the most popular
of all stories at www.radioheritage.net, and we're expanding the
series as fast as resources allow.

2. New stories already on-line include the amazing life of Pedro
Gonzalez, a former Mexican bandit who became one of the greatest
Tejano music stars in California, and his early days at KELW Burbank.
You can also buy his CD of 1930's music classics from the link in the
story.

3. Another new story is that of the tiny community radio station at
London, on Christmas Island in the central Pacific. Radio Christmas
Island was built with an aid program several years ago, and Ron Ehrke
who built the station tells us firsthand how it was done.

The Top 5 books for July at The Emporium Radio Heritage Store (c)
on-line Top 40 Radio Book List are 1. The ARRL Handbook 2. Border
Radio 3. Ham Radio for Dummies 4. Raised on Radio 5. Old Time Radio!
Restoration and Repair. Every sale helps fund our activities.

4. The content on the home page is now being refreshed every few
days, so keep the site bookmarked and visit often to keep up with new
stories, photos and more. Headlining the month are a series of photos
from WXLG Kwajalein taken in 1945 and proving that 'sharing the
memories' can go back a long way.

5. Other new items include the easy to use story index, the Top 10
stories of the month [latest now on-line], an update for the massive
4000+ station Pacific-Asian Log and a bright new logo so you can't
miss it....and, birthday greetings to 3BA Ballarat in Australia and
the 60th anniversary of the opening day of AKAA Radio in Japan in
1945.

6. More Australian birthday wishes this month for the ABC's 7NT in
Tasmania [70 years on the air], 4AK Oakey in Queensland [also a young
70], 5AD Adelaide in South Australia came on air 75 years ago, as did
7HO Hobart in Tasmania and 4BC Brisbane in Queensland. The oldest
birthday is octogenarian 4GR Toowoomba in Queensland, celebrating 80
years on air in August 2005.

The number of visitors to www.radioheritage.net continues to grow
rapidly, with 15,000 visitors since going live at Christmas 2004, and
some 220,000 hits, with visitors from 65 countries. Tell your friends!

7. The Emporium Radio Heritage Store (c) went live during the month.
We have the Top 40 Radio book List and a range of gift packages to
help raise funds for the project, as well as a growing number of
other recommended books and CDs. The Book of the Month for August is
'The Cash Cage' by Corey Deitz, an insider's look at the life of a DJ
by this top rating veteran of US radio.

8. Coming down the pipeline are a trilogy of stories about WVTR in
Tokyo, and a special note from the guy who wrote the original script
about the Japanese Sea Monster that terrorized Tokyo in 1947. As the
whole 'Godzilla' phenomenon from Japan was based on this broadcast,
you'll want to check www.radioheritage.net for this item!

9 We need logos and letterheads from contemporary and now silent
Hawaiian AM and FM radio stations! We've got a number of old time
logos in some of our collections already, but to do justice to the
Art of Radio (c) Hawaii, we'd like more. You can send them via
snailmail to PO Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand or via email to
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx There's a wealth of beauty in much of this
radio art, and we'd like to share it. Mahalo and thanks.

Still to come on-line in the next little while are the second series
of Long Lost Australian Radio Stars with 3MA Mildura, 5DN Adelaide
and 7LA Launceston. We've also picked the third series already, and
that covers 2HR Newcastle, 3CV Maryborough and 4WK Warwick. Check
www.radioheritage.net regularly for these stories.

10. Thanks to the volunteers around the Pacific who're helping
collect information about stations for us, others who are
scanning magazines for radio station adverts to add to our image
collection, others who have contacted us with stories, airchecks,
video footage and more, and yet others who've volunteered to write
stories about their stations for us. A special thanks to Bruce Carty
of Radio Yesteryear in Australia for a detailed list of all
Australian radio stations since 1919!

11 More stories coming soon include Radio in Afghanistan [1970's],
Armed Forces Radio in China-Burma-India during WWII, a detailed
listing of early Australian AM radio [1919-1929] and New Zealand AM @
a Glance [currently being formatted for the site], a photo gallery of
WVUG Alaska in 1945, and a range of stories about Tokyo Rose, Manila
Rose, Zero Hour, Japanese Occupation Radio Shonan and much more...

12. We have an interesting project we'd like some volunteers to help
us out with. It's a Shortwave Radio Guide to Asia and the Pacific,
and is basically a shortwave version of the existing AM PAL Guide. If
you can help research data on-line, co-ordinate material etc, we'd
like to hear from you. You can be anywhere in the world! Write to
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and we'll get back to you with more details.

from any government or broadcaster. You can help us today.

Warmest regards to all our readers, supporters and volunteers. Thank
you for helping make it happen! Please tell your friends, colleagues
and others interested in radio about us. Visit www.radioheritage.net.

David Ricquish
Chairman
Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

mailing address is PO Box 14339, Wellington, New Zealand and other
contact details are also at www.radioheritage.net

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom