[HCDX] Pacific Radio News - July 2005

****Pacific Radio News**** ****July 2005****
Wellington, New Zealand

1. Digital radio tests continue in the Pacific, and you can listen to
a radio heritage documentary about the late April broadcasts in New
Zealand at www.rnzi.com, the website of Radio New Zealand
International.
   On the homepage, 'click' on 'other audio' then scroll down to
'Mailbox', then click on 'listen' or 'download' the June 6 program.

2. High transmitter costs and a new FM network in Samoa bring into
question the future of the 540 AM broadcasts of SBC. Hear an
exclusive interview recorded in Apia with SBC at www.rnzi.com.
   On the homepage, 'click' on 'other audio', scroll down to
'Mailbox', click on 'listen' or 'download' for the June 20 program.

Top 5 Pacific radio stories at www.radioheritage.net for June are: 1.
Art of Radio (c), 2. 2KY Sydney Personalities, 3. Voice of Australia,
4. A Tale of Three Cities, 5. Kwajalein Army Radio

3.  Australian broadcaster and writer 'Wayne Mac' has launched a new
website to promote his great new book 'Hits & Memories - Commercial
Radio in Australia' and it's well worth visiting www.waynemac.com and
placing an order.

4.  Californian broadcaster and radio historian Jim Hilliker
celebrates the 80th anniversary of LA's 1020 [KTNQ] with a well
researched article tracing the story from KFVD to KPOP to KGBS and
finally to KTNQ. On-line at www.radioheritage.net in the next few
days.

Since launching six months ago, www.radioheritage.net has had over
10,000 visitors, nearly 150,000 hits and people from 61 countries
read about Pacific radio. Tell your friends and colleagues about us!

5.  Major acquisitions in the past few weeks include a collection of
thousands of QSL cards and other radio memorabilia from the 1940's to
the 1990's donated by a member, several private photo collections of
WWII Armed Forces Radio stations from Alaska to the Pacific, and
access to a large number of New Zealand Radio Record magazines from
1936-1938.
    If you'd like to find a safe home for your memorabilia, include
us in your will or contact us today. Details at www.radioheritage.net.

6.  3ZB Christchurch, New Zealand. We inspected the inside of the
1937 transmitter building recently, and will soon begin working on
plans to rennovate and restore the building. Local people have
provided plans, autographs of 3ZB staff and other memorabilia, and
there's a lot of interest now in seeing the building tidied up.
    We'll have an update at the Save 3ZB site www.radioheritage.net
within the near future.

Our exclusive Top 40 Radio Books List is coming on-line soon! The
best radio books from all over the world are yours to buy with just
one click. You'll also be able to buy special radio book releases at
good prices. Every purchase from www.radioheritage.net helps us
continue our radio heritage work. Coming very soon as part of The
Radio Heritage Store (c).

7.   New on-line is Art of Radio (c) Japan, a unique tour of Japanese
radio station art since 1933. Lavishly illustrated and full of items
of interest from domestic Japanese broadcasters. You can also hear
the article discussed over Radio Japan during the first week of July.
     Plans for an exhibition of many of these rare items are now
being prepared in consultation with Japanese sponsors.

8.   Also new on-line are three wonderful guides to the radio
personalities of the 1940's at popular Australian radio stations 2KY
Sydney, 2CH Sydney and 2CA Canberra. These include old adverts,
photos of station facilities and individual announcers and other
staff plus detailed biographies.

Coming soon are guides to 3MA 'The Sunraysia Station', 5DN 'First
Station in the State' and 7LA 'Launceston's Original and Feature
Station'. More Australian radio heritage at www.radioheritage.net

9.  The Pacific Asia Log is the only place you'll find details of
4000+ mediumwave stations around Asia and the Pacific, searchable for
free, and available to download now. Seattle based Bruce Portzer has
collected key data from many sources and his PAL Guide is a
one-of-a-kind gem. Hosted exclusively at www.radioheritage.net.

10. There's much more new on-line or coming up over the next few
weeks as we refresh content and bring more stories about Pacific
radio. Our thanks to all those who send stories, ideas, photos, sound
recordings, paper ephemera and much more to us.
    We're also grateful to our growing number of volunteers who're
working quietly behind the scenes to bring more and more on-line all
the time.

Thanks for your personal and ongoing support. As a registered [in New
Zealand] non-profit organization, we have no funding from governments
or commercial sponsors. Your PAYPAL donation or gift will help us
continue to build and develop this Pacific wide project. Visit the
'Donate' page at www.radioheritage.net and use a major creditcard.

We'll be back with more Pacific Radio News in a few weeks. In the
meantime, enjoy the stories and images at www.radioheritage.net and
remember to tell your friends and colleagues about us.

Warm regards
David Ricquish
Chairman
Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

Wellington, New Zealand and other contact information can be found at
www.radioheritage.net.