[HCDX] Vanuatu

Hi Guys

Just to confirm Vanuatu is definitely ON

I'm currently on day 3 of a 5 day DXPedition at a campsite 50km north of my home in Townsville, North Queensland Australia. Just drove 45 minutes for a "half-time" shower and to 're-humanise' at home for an hour or so and thought I'd post this. This DXpedition is for North Americans and Pacific Islands on MW but I thought I'd have a quick look at Vanuatu as I know there are some questions about their active or not status.

Vanuatu was putting in a very strong signal on 7260 in pidgin English with pop music along with shipping announcements, family messages and announcements of sporting events, and Radio Vanuatu IDs when I tuned in on 25/2 around 0630 UTC. They announced frequencies on SW of 7260 and 3945 but I couldn't get anything on 3945 at this time (430pm my local and still 2 hours away from sunset, so the signal wouldn't propagate very well at this time anyhow). I had to go at 0655 UTC as MW Pacific signals started to come in.

Next day on 26/2 tuned in again and they were stronger at 0600 and conditions seemed a lot better, this time at 0650 UTC there was a het on 3945. Signals from USA were coming in so I didn't stick around - sorry guys no time for SW on this trip 8^) - had a brief couple of checks in the period 0700 - 0940 UTC and 3945 was a fairly good signal while // 7260 was a powerhouse. Didn't check when they signed off as too busy hunting North American MW.

Key thing to note that on the 25/2 just before 0700 UTC news the announcer in pidgin English requested reception reports by the local residents of Vanuatu and outlying islands for 3945 khz and he announced a postal address and telephone numbers for this.

Anyway this is just a quick note to say 3945 and 7260 are definitely on in the 0600-0930'ish UTC period

OK back to the DX campsite............

Craig

Craig Edwards
PO Box 1075, Oonoonba QLD 4811, Australia
1581 Ross River Rd, Kelso QLD 4815
Phone 0411 966633
email nutritionandsports@xxxxxxxxxxx

International Mediumwave DXer