[HCDX]: AM DX NewsFlash 1-29-98

         WELCOME TO IRCA's AM-DX NEWSFLASH   -  January 29 1998
                              Vol 3  No 44

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 PLEASE, PLEASE include your location with your reports...

 Deadline for next issue = Thursday, February 5 1998 @ 1930 UTC

 Send all contributions to me @ philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 The AM DX NewsFlash is sent weekly from Raytheon in Mukilteo WA
    All contributions will be used
    Comments regarding content are appreciated

 With your submission, please include as a minimum:
    Your name, location and email address

 Tell your email friends about "AM DX NewsFlash"
    To receive this email newsletter, send your email ID, name and
    location to philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Folks who's bulletins are returned twice in a row are dropped from the
    list.  If your email address changes, please let me know!

 Information appearing the the NewsFlash can be quoted provided the
    original author and "AM DX NewsFlash" are given proper credit.

 Soft copies of the latest IRCA BookStore and Reprint Updater are
    available from:  philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To join the IRCA, send the appropriate dues to:  IRCA HQ
                                                 PO Box 1831
                                                 Perris CA  92572-1831

     US                     -  $25.00/year (30 issues)
      Trial (US only)       -  $ 9.50/10 issues (one time only)
     CANADA                 -  $27.00/year (30 issues)
     Overseas Surface       -  $28.50/year (30 issues)
     Overseas Air (CA & SA) -  $35.00/year (30 issues)
     Overseas Air (Europe)  -  $38.00/year (30 issues)
     Overseas Air (rest)    -  $41.00/year (30 issues)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
                 X         XX    XX     XX    X     XXXXXXX
                X X        X X  X X     X X   X     X
               XXXXX       X  XX  X     X  X  X     XXXX
              X     X      X      X     X   X X     X
             X       X     X      X     X    XX     X
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 CPC DX tests summary

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Bill Hale - 6124 Roaring Springs Dr, N Richland Hills TX  76180-5552
  phantom2@xxxxxxxx

Bill has volunteered to be the CPC chairman for the NRC.  Right now
Bill is looking for target station lists and stamps or money to help
get the lists worked on.

Lynn Hollerman - gmholler@xxxxxxxxxx

PLEASE NOTE: Even if you don't hear a test, be sure and drop a card,
letter, or e-mail to the station personnel, thanking them for going to
the trouble to run a test!

Saturday, January 31, 1998  -  WVNS-670, Claremont, VA will conduct a
DX test at 20,000 watts daytime power between 12:00 & 2:00 AM EST.  The
test will include tones, code, and voice IDs. Reception reports may be
sent to:

Mr. Pat Murphy
WVNS-AM
410 Briar Hill Road
Norfolk, VA 23502

(Note: Prepaid (not collect) phone calls will be taken at
(757)461-6767.) (Arranged by Pat Murphy & Dave Schmidt)

Sat, February 21, 1998 - WAMS-1380, Wilmington, DE 12:00-2:00 am EST.

Sat, February 21, 1998 - WILM-1450, Wilmington, DE 1:00-3:00 am EST.

Also, if you hear a test, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know, via e-mail or the
newsgroup! And, if you send a reception report to a station, please
remember to include return postage with your report...

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 HOT STUFF

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Pat Martin - Seaside OR - mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx

I phoned KPAM-860 today (1/23) and was told they are operating with
their 5KW  and are directional over Portland to the SW. They apparently
do have a null in my directional. They have 4 towers.

KAST-1370 per phone call to the secretary said, their plans to operate
on 1700 will be put off for "a while" as they need the money. So it
looks like they wont be signing on too soon.

I also received a QSL from DZEC-1062 khz Quezon City for Phil. #17.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Paul Ormandy - paulorm@xxxxxxxx

Jack Searle of Haumoana, reports that the new NZer on 999kHz is "Access
Radio" from Palmerston North.

More details will follow as they come available.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Lee J Freshwater  414 SE 3rd St, Ocala, FL 34474
FAX  352-732-7223  E-mail Lfreshwate@xxxxxxx

The F.C.C. has started putting CALL LETTER changes in their computer
data base...We will include them here as time and space permits.

A COMPLETE LISTING OF CALL LETTER UPDATES IS AVAILABLE AT:

   http:// members.aol.com/bcblogbook/main.htm

PREPARED ON  1/28/98

Call Signs reserved for Pending Sales Applicants **

NEW       CITY AND STATE           FREQUENCY      FORMER
CALL                                               CALL

KKWK      St. Louis, MO               1380          WKBQ

**  Commission grant and consummation does not automatically grant call
sign application. The new licensee must provide written notice to the
call sign desk upon consummation of the transaction and await authority
from the Commission to use the new call sign.

               CALL SIGN  CHANGES

NEW       CITY AND STATE           FREQUENCY      FORMER
CALL                                   *          CALL

WNMT      Nashwauk, MN                650          WKKQ
WDOT      Plattsburgh, NY            1070          WZBZ
WTBC      Tuscaloosa, AL             1230          WTNW
WMML      Glens Falls, NY            1230          WBZA
KKSC      Brawley, CA                1300          KROP
KMKY      Oakland, CA                1310          KDIA
WJTD      Wellston, OH               1330          WYPC
KTLS      Holdenville, OK            1370          KKNG
KZSF      San Jose, CA               1370          KKSJ
KWBK      Beaumont, TX               1380          KJUS
WBZA      Glens Falls, NY            1410          WSTL
WWKL      Harrisburg, PA             1460          WCMB
WGNR      Anderson, IN               1470          WHUT
WUBR      Whitehall, MI              1490          WEFG
KMRI      West Valley City, UT       1550          KRGO

Nothing new on the expanded band this week, some new stations have been
granted, but no calls as yet.

ONE CORRECTION...... Last time we listed calls for 1630 - Augusta, Ga
as WANX... That is INCORRECT.. The calls should be  WAWX.....My
mistake, and thanks to Larry Godwin for spotting the error....

*  The F.C.C. does NOT list the frequency in their database.
   I have tried to suppliment this with information from my
   own database,, so look it over "carefully" before you
   change anything in yours.

   We have put this information in order of frequency rather
   than location. Send any suggestions, changes AND
   corrections to the above E-Mail address.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 INDIVIDUAL LOGGINGS

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Report from Mark Connelly - Times / dates = UTC / 1998

e-mail = WA1ION@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Connelly*Y-MA] = South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA (GC= 70.20 W / 41.65 N)
(Windmill Beach: River St. at Willow St.)

Receiver: Drake R8A

Antenna systems - MFJ-1024 whip, RL-1 remotely-tuned loop, 30 m wire,
SCC-1 single-channel controller, Superphaser-1

*** TRANS-ATLANTIC DX ***

 907.8  GAMBIA, R. Syd, Banjul, JAN 18 2332 - bits of audio in tough
       slop. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1197  LESOTHO, BBC relay, Lancer's Gap, JAN 18 2205 - BBC EE world news
       mentioning the Middle East.  There was an on- the-scene
       correspondent who said "Authorities are patrolling the border."
       To fair peak during semi-auroral conditions. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1349  MAURITANIA, R. Mauritanie, Nouakchott, JAN 18 2210 - AA talk;
       strong carrier / weak audio. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1467  FRANCE, TWR, Roumoules, JAN 18 2215 - US EE preacher; poor.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]

*** PAN-AMERICAN DX ***

 530  TURKS & CAICOS, R. Vision Cristiana, JAN 18 2356 - mellow SS folk
       religious vocal; local-like.  Interestingly, most nights, this
       overwhelms the Weston, MA (Massachusetts Turnpike) TIS station
       at locations where the "Tune to 530" signs appear along Route
       128. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 535  GRENADA, GBC, St. George's, JAN 18 2356 - ministry program with a
       Chicago address; loud. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 630  PUERTO RICO, WSKN, San Juan, JAN 18 2344 - SS newstalk mentioning
       Puerto Rico, Washington, and liberals.  Very strong, well over
       the WPRO/CFCY/CHLT mix. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 640  CUBA, R. Progreso, Guanabacoa / Las Tunas, JAN 19 0002 - big-band
       Cuban jazz & SS vocal, // 660, over several others.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]
 650  COLOMBIA, RCN Antena Dos, HJKH, Bogota, JAN 18 2328 - Antena Dos
       ID over other Latin American. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 660  CUBA, R. Progreso, CMHG, Santa Clara, JAN 19 0002 - // 640 with
       big-band Cuban jazz with vocal; in WFAN null. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 670  CUBA, R. Rebelde, CMQ, Arroyo Arenas, JAN 18 2338 - SS female
       folk vocal with acoustic guitar (style of Joan Baez); loud /
       dominant, // 600 & others. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 690  COLOMBIA, HJCZ, Bogota, JAN 18 2337 - old-fashioned romantic SS
       vocal with accordions & electric organ, then R. Recuerdos ID;
       good with CBF phased. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 710  CUBA, R. Rebelde synchros, JAN 19 0003 - carnival-type music //
       600 & 670; loud, over WOR. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 730  BRAZIL, JAN 18 2234 - PP religious program briefly over Latin
       American jumble; CKAC phased.  This was likely Emissora Rural
       (ZYI780) in Petrolina (as noted with similar programming by the
       NFDX '97 crew). [Connelly*Y-MA]
 760  GUYANA, R. Roraima, 8RG, Georgetown, JAN 18 2232 - most likely
       this with a Black / Caribbean - accented preacher; over YV/HJ/ZY
       mix with WJR phased. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 780  BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS, ZBVI, Roadtown, Tortola, JAN 19 0008 - US
       soul & Caribbean hits; mixed with CFDR C&W. [Connelly*Y-MA]
 860  BRAZIL, ZYJ459, Rio de Janeiro, JAN 18 2329 - PP talk mentioning
       Mato Grosso, Porto Alegre, and the Catholic church.  Then there
       was a good "CBN" network ID.  The signal was surprisingly loud;
       CJBC nulled. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1030  COLOMBIA, RCN Antena Dos, HJER, Cali, JAN 18 2340 - SS fast talk
       by man, // 650; mixed with second LA (Argentina ?); WBZ phased.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]
1060  CUBA, CMDX, Baracoa, JAN 18 2330 - loud with "Billie Jean" by
       Michael Jackson, then woman in SS - usual boxy, overdriven
       audio. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1090  COLOMBIA, CARACOL, Cucuta/Sogamoso, JAN 18 2251 - SS news
       mentioning Cartagena, // 1100; in mix with WBAL & YVSZ.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]
1100  COLOMBIA, CARACOL, HJAT, Barranquilla, JAN 18 2248 - CARACOL
       mention in jumble with apparent Brazil and others.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]
1160  BERMUDA, VSB3, Hamilton, JAN 18 2300 - BBC World Service
       announcements of upcoming programs including one on human
       cloning, then announcement "This is London." followed by the
       Lilybolero interval music and news with a lead item about Iraq.
       Strong, way over WSKW & others. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1180  CUBA, R. Rebelde, JAN 18 2301 - // 600 with SS female rock vocal;
       loud / dominant. [Connelly*Y-MA]
1280  BERMUDA, VSB2, Hamilton, JAN 18 2305 - US-accented news ended,
       then there was a Bible reading called "the VSB Good News word
       for today", a hymn followed.  Good, well over a PP station
       believed to be Tupi-Brazil; WADO (SS) in phase null.
       [Connelly*Y-MA]
1505  ANGUILLA, R. Anguilla, The Valley, JAN 18 2308 - Caribbean-EE
       sports reports mentioning the World Cup; fair. [Connelly*Y-MA]

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Jay Novello (with help and support from Marie) - Wake Forest, NC
 - rec.radio.cruise

    We spent a week at the beginning of 1998 cruising the Western
Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's "Enchantment of the Seas".  The cruise
left from the Port of Miami, took us to Cozumel on the eastern coast of
Mexico, then to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and to Georgetown, Grand Cayman,
then returned to Miami.
    Since this trip offered the appealing idea of a mobile location
from which to monitor local radio, I took along a collection of
receiving and recording equipment and attempted a survey of the local
and regional radio audible in that part of the world. There were more
than enough signals present on both AM and FM to keep me busy during
the time I wasn't otherwise occupied; in fact, I doubt I would have had
a chance to ID all the Mexican and (especially) Cuban stations if I had
twice as much free time.
    One problem became evident immediately upon boarding the ship: the
thing is one giant QRM factory.  Almost every light bulb on board is a
small flourescent device, which throws a racket on the MW band when in
proximity; even worse, however, is the fact that these lights feed
noise back into the AC line.  As a result, MW is almost completely
obliterated by noise when attempting to power the receiver with an AC
adapter, and I wound up using batteries the entire time.
    In fact, the noise radiating from the AC lines is at such a level
that listening inside the passenger cabins is mostly fruitless; careful
positioning of the radio in the center of the room's window will bring
in locals and stronger stations at night.  Monitoring from the outside
decks on floors 4, 5 and 10 were quickly ruled out since they only
offered a view toward one side or the other, and the overhead ceiling
not only contained power lines but blocked signals as well.
    After considerable searching, we found the best monitoring location
to be on the 11th floor observation deck, at the highest and nearly
most forward public space on board.  The sky was open overhead and on
both sides, and there were no walls containing power lines in the
vicinity.  There was one annoying problem even with this deck; it was
in the field of a couple of rotating direction-finding devices at the
highest point on the ship, which would cause a brief QRM sweep every 2
1/2 seconds.  I learned to live with this noise, though, and on the two
occasions when the ship was actually docked at a port of call, these
devices were turned off.
    I had originally intended to concentrate on taping music from the
local and regional Cuban MW stations, to prepare a sequel to the Cuban
Music page I put together a few years ago
(http://itre.ncsu.edu/music/cuban-music.html).  I took some reference
material along since I planned on doing a bandscan, too.  Well, it
struck me a little too late into the trip that it might be fun to try
to tape as many ID's from those same Cuban stations and use them to
"illustrate" the bandscan.  The bandscan appears with the samples I've
done to date at http://itre.ncsu.edu/radio/cruise/.  I regret not
approaching this with a little more discipline, since I found out on
the last day at sea that I could hear just about any of the small Cuban
stations in the vicinity with some careful targeting, tuning and
nulling.  That's OK with me, though; it's an excuse to go back.
    The equipment used included an aging and travel-battered Sony
ICF-2010, a GE SuperRadio III, and an Aiwa recording cassette personal
stereo, fed with an attenuating patch cord; and a Sony ICF-1000T
cassette/receiver, given a boost by a Kiwa Pocket Loop. I have mixed
feelings about the 1000T; it's well-built and sounds fine with
headphones.  It is quite selective and the synchronous detector does a
good job dealing with adjacent channel QRM. However, it would benefit
greatly from a wider bandwidth on AM, and the frequency response of its
built-in cassette recorder could be better on the high end.  In
addition, its sensitivity leaves a little to be desired; it seems to
have good dynamic range, though, and can handle strong signal input
without overloading.  The Kiwa Pocket Loop is an excellent match,
especially when patched directly into the AM antenna input.  In
addition, this combination provided considerable rejection of the
broad-banded direction-finding QRM. Between the two recording devices,
I filled 32 C-90's with music and ID's.
    The loggings below each carry a designation with the date and
general location of reception.  Here are some details of those
locations:

MIA 1/3       - Inside a hotel in downtown Miami.
at sea 1/4    - Cruising along the upper Florida Keys in the evening.
                The ship left Miami at 1700 local.
at sea 1/5    - Cruising westward along the coast of northwestern Cuba;
                provinces of La Habana, Ciudad de la Habana,
                and Pinar del Rio nearby.
Cozumel 1/6   - In port at Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
                Local stations were the ones in Cozumel, Cancun
                and Chetumal.
at sea 1/7    - Cruising eastward roughly along the 19th parallel
                between Cozumel and Jamaica, skirting the Cayman
                Islands, with a clear shot to the Cuban provinces of
                La Habana, Matanzas, and Cienfuegos.
JA 1/8        - In port at Ocho Rios, Jamaica, mostly taping local FM,
                but also near Cuba's provinces of Granma and Santiago
                de Cuba.
Caymans 1/9   - Anchored off Georgetown, Grand Cayman.  Best chance
                at Cuban provinces of Villa Clara, Sancti Spiritus,
                Ciego de Avila, and Camaguey.
At sea 1/10   - Cruising back around the westernmost part of Cuba.
MIA 1/11      - Back in port in Miami, and monitoring from the
                airport in Fort Lauderdale.

The bandscan -- All times local (EST)

 530  TURKS AND CAICOS R Vision Cristiana, North End; usual stuff (at
       sea 1/3)
 550  CUBA: R Rebelde, Pinar del Rio, PR and others; //96.7, audio
       sounded like STL mistuned (at sea 1/5)
      JAMAICA: RJR Montego Bay, with "Family Counselors" callin show
       0930 (at sea 1/7)
 560  USA: WQAM Miami, pro football game (MIA 1/3)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, unknown site (JA 1/8)
 570  CUBA: R Reloj, Pilon, GR (?);  very strong at sea 1/7, also (at
       sea 1/4)
      USA: WHNZ, Pinellas Park FL, "570 WINS" nx format (at sea 1/5)
 580  JAMAICA: RJR Galina, //550 (at sea 1/7)
 590  USA: WAFC Clewiston FL, "Radio Fiesta" Mexican ranchera stuff
       (MIA 1/3)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, Santa Clara VC; this channel noted playing
       classical mx 1030 not // to 550, 710, 96.7, etc; does not carry
       "Noticiero Nacional de Radio" at 1300.  Heard a nice program of
       Isaac Albeniz piano compositions.  (at sea 1/5)
 600  CUBA: R Rebelde, Urbano Noris HO; playing Bee Gees "Words",
       strong signal (at sea 1/7)
 610  USA: WIOD Miami, "NewsRadio 610" (MIA 1/3)
 620  USA: WSUN St Petersburg, 1000 relaying TV nxcast (at sea 1/5)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, Colon, MA (JA 1/8)
 640  CUBA: R Progreso, Guanabacoa, HA; beautiful daytime signal (MIA
       1/3)
      USA: WLVJ, Royal Palm Beach-Ft Lauderdale-Miami, "Family Value
       Radio" blowing away R Progreso in the evenings with PT Christian
       preaching (MIA 1/3)
 650  CUBA: R Sandino, Pinar del Rio, PR; already on at 1700, so not
       "2300-0300" as in WRTH 98; nice signal in Rebelde null.  Likes
       to semi-ID as "Super Onda". (at sea 1/5) Election stuff, ID 1600
       (at sea 1/10)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, much stronger signal than either 1 kW xmtr in
       WRTH would suggest, but heard when in Ocho Rios so I suppose
       this could plausibly be the Santiago de Cuba or Media Luna, GR
       site. (JA 1/8)
 670  USA: WWFE Hialeah, "La Fe", but Greek music heard Saturday at
       1815 with lots of "Kyprios" mentions, numerous ads for White's
       Chapel Lane (?) (MIA 1/3)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, Arroyo Arenas, CH (at sea 1/5)
 680  CUBA: R Progreso, Ciego de Avila, CA (at sea 1/7)
 690  CUBA: R Progreso, Jovellanos, MA (at sea 1/4 nighttime)
 700  CUBA: R Enciclopedia, Guantanamo, GU (? - only 1 kW in WRTH); no
       ID heard 1700, but format fits:  all instrumental mx, announced
       by woman (JA 1/8)
 710  USA: WAQI Miami, Cuban exile programming (MIA 1/3)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, La Julia HA and probably others; strong (at sea
       1/7)
 720  JAMAICA: RJR (JA 1/8)
 730  CUBA: R Progreso, La Fe, IJ (at sea 1/5 and 1/7)
 740  MEXICO: XEPET Peto, Yucatan, possibly the one with program about
       "la botana" (?), ads for Coke, Wal-Mart and Cerveza Iron Cross,
       prices in pesos, semi-ID'ing as "Radio Formula Cadena Nacional".
       (at sea 1/5)
 750  USA: WSB Atlanta  (at sea 1/4 nighttime)
      CUBA: R Rebelde, WRTH 98 lists only 1 kW from Trinidad, SS here;
       strong daytime (at sea 1/7)
 760  CUBA: R Reloj, Guanabacoa HA  (at sea 1/7)
 770  USA: unID FL talk station with "Florida Forum" (at sea 1/5)
      JAMAICA: RJR, Spur Tree JA  (at sea 1/7)
      COLOMBIA: RCN Bogota (at sea 1/7 nighttime)
 790  CUBA: R Reloj, Pinar del Rio PR (at sea 1/5)
 800  CUBA: R Progreso, Manzanillo GR listed in WRTH as as 1 kW, strong
       (at sea 1/5)
 810  MEXICO: XERB, Sol Stereo, Cozumel QR, Ace Hardware and building
       supply ads, // 89.9, gives calls and 810 AM in occasional canned
       IDs. (Cozumel 1/6)
 820  CUBA: R Ciudad de la Habana, Santa Catalina, CH; announcing 94.?
       FM and 820 AM.  Airs "Noticiero Nacional de Radio" 1300, // to
       just about every other Cuban station except R Reloj, R
       Enciclopedia and the 590 Rebelde outlet.  (at sea 1/4) Symphonic
       mx 1400, no ID (at sea 1/10)
      USA: WZTM, Largo FL, "Sports Radio 820 The Bay" (at sea 1/5)
 830  unID with Palabra de Dios stuff (at sea 1/4 nighttime)
 840  CUBA: Dobleve, Santa Clara, VC (MIA 1/4 and at sea 1/5) ID 1600
       (at sea 1/10)
      USA: WHAS, Louisville KY (at sea 1/4 nighttime)
 850  USA: presumed WEAT, West Palm Beach FL, "850 News Radio".  No
       real ID heard (MIA 1/4)
      CUBA: R Reloj, unknown site (at sea 1/5)
      CUBA: R Progreso, Baracoa, GU (at sea 1/7)
 859.9  MEXICO: XECTL, R Chetumal, Chetumal QR, surprised to hear this
       with baladas instead of Cancun local, mentioning "Cadena Radio
       Tucuman" (?) (Cozumel 1/6)
 860  MEXICO: XECCM, R Caribe, Cancun QR, lots of "Turquesa" mentions,
       ID 1108 with mentions of 5 kW, "La Mexicana", and "Instituto
       Quintanarooense de Comunicaciones Social". (at sea 1/10)
 870  CUBA: R Reloj, unknown site (at sea 1/7)
 880  CUBA: R Progreso, Pinar del Rio PR (at sea 1/7)
      USA: WCBS, New York (at sea 1/4 nighttime)
 890  CUBA: R Progreso, Santiago de Cuba, SC with Top 20 countdown in
       progress 1015 Saturday; DJ would play the record at each
       position from the national chart, then the international chart.
       Location as listed in multiple recent AMDXNF loggings, but seems
       a bit far afield for daytime reception in Miami.  (MIA 1/4)
 900  USA: unID domestic, white Christian preacher, weak downtown (MIA
       1/4)
 910  CUBA: R Metropolitana, Arroyo Arenas CH; DJ tele-talk, IDs 1520
       and 1530, strong (at sea 1/10)
 930  CUBA: R Reloj, Las Tunas LT (at sea 1/4 nighttime and 1/7)
 940  USA: WINZ, local yak, Tylenol ads, traffic, weather, "Super Talk"
       (MIA 1/4)
      CUBA: R Progreso, Holguin HO?  No Reloj heard here (at sea 1/7)
 950  CUBA: R Reloj, Sancti Spiritus SS?  strong, can't believe 1 kW as
       in WRTH (at sea 1/5)
 960  CUBA: R Reloj, Guantanamo GU (at sea 1/7)
      unID Mexican
 970  USA: WFLA Tampa, tele-talk (at sea 1/10)
 980  USA: WHSR Pompano Beach, ID assumed, brokered ethnic programming.
       Heard program called "Jewish Talk Radio" ending 1000, followed
       by dead air, no ID, standard disclaimer, and into Italian
       program.  Fair in WFBA splash. (MIA 1/4)
      CUBA: COCO/CMCK "El Periodico del Aire", Sapo, CH; promo giving
       station address; formal ID 1500, announced // 91.7 (at sea 1/10)
 990  USA: WFBA Miami, R Aeropuerto Musical, mostly instrumental,
       lounge versions of Cuban standards, and fifties Orquestra stuff;
       multiple versions of "Perfidia", "Piel Canela", etc; heard a
       couple of vocal cuts in Portuguese by Brazilian singer Simone;
       occasional female group singing ID, terse male canned ID at the
       top of each hour simply "WFBA, 990 kHz, Miami".  No ads heard in
       almost four hours of listening.  (MIA 1/3 and 1/11)
      CUBA: R Guama, unknown site; strong daytime (at sea 1/5 and 1/10)
1000  CUBA: R Guama, Los Palacios PR; strong daytime (at sea 1/5 and
1/10)
1010  CUBA: R Reloj, no Guama heard here (Caymans 1/9)
1020  CUBA: R Guama, Bahia Honda PR; strong daytime (at sea 1/5 and
1/10)
1030  CUBA: R Guama, La Palma PR; weak daytime, both this and 1020
       listed as 1 kW in WRTH (at sea 1/5)
1050  MEXICO: XEQOO, R Pirata, Cancun QR, pop mx - strong all over
       Western Caribbean.  // much weaker 90.7, only heard at Cozumel.
       In retrospect, I'm surprised I didn't come across R Victoria
       here or in the vicinity.  (at sea 1/5 and subsequent days)
1070  CUBA: R Guama, Pinar del Rio, PR election promo then novela 1130
       (at sea 1/7) 1635 Pablo Milanes "Sandra", Grupo Irakere "Rucu
       Rucu a Santa Clara" (Caymans 1/9)
1080  CUBA: R Cadena Habana "La Frecuencia Popular", Guines, HA; talk,
       strong (at sea 1/7)
      USA: WVCG Coral Gables FL, 1430-1530 Greek mx program annced in
       Greek and English (MIA 1/11)
1090  CUBA: R Guama, Santa Lucia PR; nice Isaac Delgado son, short nx
       1037 followed by ID 1040, very strong (at sea 1/10)
1100  CUBA: R Cadena Habana, unknown site; weak (at sea 1/7)
      MEXICO: XECAM, R Mundo Maya Turquesa, Cancun QR (not listed in
       WRTH 98), musica romantica, ID 0929 (at sea 1/10)
1110  CUBA: R Angulo, Holguin HO; excellent big band rumba music, ID
       1200 (at sea 1/7)
      USA: unID domestic, white Christian preacher (at sea 1/10)
1120  CUBA: R Cadena Habana, Artemisa, HA; informal ID 1400 (at sea
       1/10)
1140  CUBA: R Bayamo, Media Luna GR; baladas, 1150 better (at sea 1/7)
      USA: WQBA, Miami (at sea 1/10)
1150  CUBA: R Bayamo, Entronque Bueycito GR; // weaker 1140; nice ID
       1200 (at sea 1/7)
1170  COLOMBIA: Caracol Colombia, Cartagena (at sea 1/5 night)
      USA: WAVS Davie-Ft Lauderdale-Miami with Hindi film mx 0915, 1531
       with Soca and Reggae Mx news, Caribbean restaurant and grocery
       store ad string, "South Florida's Only Full-time Caribbean Radio
       Station" (MIA 1/11)
1180  USA: R Marti, Marathon FL (at sea 1/5)
1190  CUBA: R Sancti Spritus, Yaguajay SS; live sports event 1220; ID
       1230 and into local mx (at sea 1/7)
1200  CUBA: R Revolucion, Palma Soriano SC; heard ID but missed taping
       it, nuts.  Election promo, ending with "La Radio Cubana en
       servicio de nuestra pueblo".  (JA 1/8)
      CUBA: R Ariguanabo, San Antonio de los Banos, HA; hour-long
       sports show starting 1600 with IDs in passing and occasional
       music. FM'ing audio getting progressively worse during hour;
       field reports from various sports events, finally a formal ID
       1700  (at sea 1/10)
1205  CAYMAN ISLANDS: R Cayman, nice singing ID 1215 but then "Midday
       Meditation" (at sea 1/7)
1210  CUBA: R Sancti Spritus, Sancti Spiritus ss; live sports event
       1220 (at sea 1/7)
1220  CUBA: R 26, Central Espana MA; presumed, no ID heard (at sea 1/7)
1230  CUBA: R 26, Union de Reyes MA; presumed, no ID heard; "Noticiero
       Nacional de Radio" 1300, but off 1330 recheck. Apparantly didn't
       check 1220 at this time.  (at sea 1/7)
1260  CUBA: R Enciclopedia, unknown site, //1410 (at sea 1/10)
      USA?: weak Caracol (at sea 1/5 nighttime but also 1/7 daytime)
       probably WSUA Miami, as heard with "Caracol Miami" non-ids 1000
       (MIA 1/11)
1270  CUBA: R Caribe, Nueva Gerona IJ; strong with lots of talk about
       Camaguey, live event.  Also noted with music program and lots of
       "desde Caribe" dropins, which is how this one likes to ID even
       formally.  (at sea 1/7)  Program of Mexican music 0856, election
       promo, informal ID "En la Isla de la Juventud" 0900 (Caymans
       1/9)
1290  CUBA: R Taino, Villa Maria CH (at sea 1/5)
1300  CUBA: R Enciclopedia, Las Tunas LT; instrumental mx anncd by
       woman, heavy on low end, ID 1400 (at sea 1/7)
1310  CUBA: R Enciclopedia, unknown site (at sea 1/10)
1320  CUBA: R Artemisa, Artemisa HA; ID 1402, into symphonic mx (at sea
       1/7)
      USA: WLQY Miami FL presumed with Haitian kompas mx (MIA 1/11)
1330  CUBA: R Jaruco, suspect in Artemisa HA; this channel seemed to be
       off when R Artemisa was on 1320, and vice versa (at sea 1/5)
      CUBA: R Portada de Libertad, Holguin HO; ID (not R Libertad) 1701
       (at sea 1/7)
1340  CUBA: R Ciudad del Mar, Palmira CI; beisbol, election promos,
       local IDs //weaker 1350  (at sea 1/7) nice full ID 1000 (Caymans
       1/9)
      USA: unID domestic station playing Hindi film mx 1140, announced
       in English, wishing Muslim brothers and sisters "Ramadan
       Mubarak" (at sea 1/10)
1350  CUBA: R Ciudad del Mar, Aguada de Pasajeros CI (at sea 1/7)
      unID Spanish language Christian preacher (at sea 1/10)
1360  CUBA: R Cadena Agramonte, Rodolfo Ramirez Esquivel CM; beisbol //
       1380; "Escuche Camaguey, Cadena Agramonte 1644 (at sea 1/7)
       excerpt from Fidel speech 0903, sports news program 0930, good
       ID 1000, program "Medidiano" (Caymans 1/9)
      USA: domestic "R Sucesos" -- WKAT?  (at sea 1/10)
      USA: WKAT North Miami FL, with song "No Tengo Dinero" and "RCN
       Miami" pseudo-IDs 0952 (MIA 1/11)
1380  CUBA: R Cadena Agramonte, Central Brasil CM; beisbol // 1360 (at
       sea 1/7)
      USA: domestic "1380 The Touch", domestic R&B (at sea 1/10)
1390  CUBA: R Jaruco, Jaruco HA (at sea 1/5)
1410  CUBA: R Cadena Agramonte, unknown site; // 1360 (Caymans 1/9)
      CUBA: R Enciclopedia, Pinar del Rio PR; instrumental stuff, ID
       1258 (at sea 1/10)
1420  CUBA: R Cadena Agramonte, unknown site; with beisbol // 1360,
       1380 (at sea 1/7)
      USA: unID domestic with "Solid Gospel" (at sea 1/10)
1440  CUBA: unID Cuban station playing "Peter and the Wolf" (Caymans
       1/9)
      USA: WWCL Lehigh Acres FL, ranchera mx (at sea 1/10)
1450  CUBA: CMBU, R Guines, Guines, HA; strong with baladas, ID 1445
       (at sea 1/7) Program "Recital" with salsas by Hilberto
       Santarossa 1530 (Caymans 1/9)
1480  CUBA: R Florida, Florida CM; election stuff, lots of talk by man
       and woman, numerous ID's, as at 1500; some music.  Suspect this
       is more than listed 250 watts. (at sea 1/7)
1490  USA: WMBM Miami Beach FL, Attorney Vernita Williams answering
       questions about tax exemptions for religious organizations on
       "Legal Issues and Answers" (MIA 1/3)
1500  MEXICO: XESM Mexico City, "mil quimientos AM", Marta Sanchez
       song, CST TCs, ID 0902 (at sea 1/10)
1520  USA: unID domestic with infomercial: "Stop the pain of arthritis
       with all-natural products".  It sure was nice to get away from
       radio like this for a week.  (MIA 1/3)
      CUBA: Cuban I missed going back to ID, probably R Baragua, Palma
       Soriano SC (JA 1/8)
1540  BAHAMAS: ZNS1, Nassau; Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and similar stuff
       (JA 1/8)
1560  USA: WRHC Coral Gables FL, ranchera mx (MIA 1/3)
1580  USA: WCCF Punta Gorda FL, "Newsradio 1580" (at sea 1/10)
1590  CUBA: Rdif Granmense, Manzanillo GR; ID'ing as such and not as R
       Granma, as in passing after 1600 news block, referring to
       Manzanillo as "Ciudad del Golfo".  strong (at sea 1/7)
1700  USA: WCMQ, Miami Springs FL (MIA 1/3)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Walter Salmaniw - Victoria, BC - salmaniw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Spent Christmas and New Year's in Maui, and was able to do a little MW
DXing.  For stateside DX-ers, here are the local ID's for many of the
Hawaiian stations:

  550 KMUI  "Cruisin' 55"
  620 KIPI  "Rainbow Radio.  The Big Island's superstation."
  650 KHNR  "Hawaii's news station"
  690 KQMQ  ID's as "93.1 KQMQ, Honolulu".
  790 KKON  "KAOE 92.7 and 790 KKOH, Big Island Radio."
  830 KHVH  "Real Radio 830"
  850 KHLO  "The new cruisin'850".
  990 KIKI  "Hawaii's country 990 AM."
 1060 KAHU  "Country Hawaiian Radio".
 1080 KWAI  parallels 1540.
 1110 KAOI  "AIB" network.
 1380 KIFO  "Hawaii Public Radio, KIFO".
 1420 KCCN  "Station Aloha".
 1460 KULA  "Crater 96".  ie simulcasts 96.3 KRTR
 1540 KISA  "Fabulous K 108 Radio", and joint IDs for KWAI 1080 and
       KISA 1540.

DXing 29 December, in Kihei, Maui, yielded the following interesting
stations, using my Sony SW-1000T, with just the internal ferrite-core
antenna, and occasionally a 350' mini-Beverage aimed east-west:

 540  Western Samoa at 0750 with hymns, non-stop music, Samoan talk at
       0759. Fair to good, with some local splash from 550.
 738  RFO Papetee at 0737 with fair/good reception.
 846  Kiribati with local programming at 0836, fair/good //9810.
1017  Tonga only poor/fair at same time.
1098  Marshal Is.  The strongest and most reliable Pacific MW station
       heard in Maui, with consistently good signals, especially during
       local late evenings.
1179  Kiribati very weakly heard // 9810 at 0802.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Brett Saylor - bds2@xxxxxxx

1610  HAR, North Carolina - 1953 EST 1/29/98, continuous talk by man,
       w/mentions of "proceed north about 1.3 miles", "turn left at
       Irwin Road", also Exit 170, Route 147, Greensboro and Raleigh.
       Up briefly from the slop. Hrd on SRIII and R-70.
1640  KXBT (finally!), California - 2012 EST 1/29/98, pop music and
       commercials with ID "1640 KXBT Solid Gold" up briefly, then
       phone number "800- ___ MOTOWN" (maybe "GO-MOTOWN" or
       "GOLD-MOTOWN"?), fighting with DFW TIS. Poor w/ occ. fade ups.

Brett Saylor N3EVB
State College, Penna.
R-70, R-390A w/ 150' longwire antenna
GE SRIII w/loop

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 MISC ITEMS

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Wayne Heinen - CO - Nrclog@xxxxxxx

The National Radio Club is proud to announce the release of the Station
Location Map Book 4th edition. This handy BCB DXing reference shows the
location of all US and Canadian Stations (except TIS and Canadian
LPRTs) on indexed maps. The 4th edition edited by Bill Hale also
includes the Latitude and Longitude coordinates of the stations
transmitter location and a section of instructions authored by Dave
Sundius enabling users to calculate distance and bearing to any
station. This edition is 230 pages 8 = X 11 in a three hole punch
format shipped shrink wrapped. Prices to the USA and Canada are:

$12.00 Postpaid to NRC/IRCA Members
$17.95 Postpaid to non-members

For Over seas Airmail Rates: To the Caribbean/Latin America Add 20% To
Europe Add 30%. All other areas Add 40%. (NY Residents Please add
applicable Sales Tax)

Order by specifying SLM to:

National Radio Club
Publications Center
P.O. Box 164
Mannsville, NY 13661-0164

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The National Radio Club now has the 18th edition of their NRC AM Radio
Log for the 1997-1998 DX Season edition.

This annual edition contains 310 pages, 8 1/2" x 11" size, 3-hole
punched, loose leaf format with over 5,400 A.M. Radio station listings
from the United States and Canada.  Each station listing consists of
its location, frequency, call, format, network affiliation, station
address, station slogan, day and night transmitter powers.  There are
cross references by city and by call letter.

The AM Radio Log is available to NRC/IRCA members for $16.95 post paid.
(Canadian members funds must be US funds)

The Nonmember and Overseas prices of the AM Radio Log are as follows:

U.S. & Canada  US$22.95
Latin America  US$23.50
Europe         US$24.00
All Others     US$28.00

All Overseas prices are shipped via AIR and payment must be in US
funds.

Please mail all orders to:

National Radio Club
Publications Center
P.O. Box 164
Mannsville, NY 13661-0164

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

    phil bytheway - Seattle WA - philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Tabulated from WWV at ~0518 GMT nightly

    Geomagnetic Summary January 23 1998 through January 29 1998

       GEO - Geomagnetic activity     pca - polar cap absorption
       maf - major flare              SA  - Solar Activity
       mas - major storm              spe - satellite proton event
       mis - minor storm              ss  - severe storm

    Date    FLUX    A    K    SA          GEO                 OTHER

     1/23    97     3    1    very low    quiet               -
       24    98     3    4    very low    quiet-active        -
       25   100     8    0    moderate    quiet-unsettled     -
       26   100     1    2    low         quiet               -
       27     z     z    z    z           z                   -
       28    97     2    3    low         quiet-unsettled     -
     1/29    94     7    2    very low    quiet-unsettled     -

If you note any AM changes (call, format, slogan, etc), please send
them to the NRC Log coordinator (Wayne Heinen) @ nrclog@xxxxxxx