QSL: MW test via Kaliningrad

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
Just received a nice QSL via email from Kaliningrad and its high power
test transmission on 12-14 August on 1386 kHz.
Signals were booming in at my ordinary stereo set (with AM) in
southern Sweden. Should surprise no-one, as they used 1200 kW from
just across the Baltics... Still, it would be nice if the Russians
could get some nice AM broadcasts a la good ol' Luxembourg. The AM
sound from Kalinigrad is a lot better than on old 1440 kHz.

For your info, part of the email QSL:

= = = = =
DATE:                 August 12, 1997
TIME:                  2010-2245  UTC
FREQUENCY:     1386 kHz

We used a half power of 1200 kW on 12/8 and a full power of 2400 kW on
13-14/8 with a directional aerial system beamed to the U.K. and
Ireland.
There were the transmitter's problems on 13/8 at around 2000-2030 UTC
when
the transmitter's valve went out of use...

Yours sincerely,
Mikhail Timofeyev
(nerrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
= = = = =

Meaning that this past week I have got two QSL's in more modern
format. One email, and the other by fax from Malawi Broadcasting
Corporation, on 3380 kHz. I did send the reception report by ordinary
mail, including my business card. Made the difference, as I got a QSL
after many tries.

/Hermod Pedersen
Nordic Shortwave Center <http://swl.sds.se/>