Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] DX Season

--- Begin Message ---
DX season is all year near the seashore.

Warmer weather gives better opportunities for DXing from the car, campsites, etc. at advantageous sites compared to home: e.g. seashore, high altitude, or rural farmland.

Southerly regions have more darkness then so Brazilians and other South Americans are often at their best.  Of course auroras can occur any time of year to give a similar boost heading south.

Mid/late winter is not as productive for many as a lot of the hobby's pre-1980-based "crisp cold moonlit nights" lore would suggest.  Home locations are often RF-noisy and the cold weather, ice, and snow force people to do all their DXing there.

"Meteorological autumn" (SEP / OCT / NOV) tends to be prime time at least here in New England.  Lightning static is below summer levels and weather is still pleasant enough (most of the time) to support serious DXpeditioning.

If you read DX reports from me and from other East Coast DXers such as Bruce Conti, Marc DeLorenzo, Bill Whitacre, Sylvain Naud, Brent Taylor, and Allen Willie, you can see that DXing can be an all-year activity.  Thank proximity to salt water for that.  What Gary DeBock and other West Coast DXers do mid-summer with Down Under reception is pretty much the same story.

Someone in the southern and lower Midwest US - thunderstorm / tornado alley - will be looking at things differently.  May through August is likely to be rather useless there.

Let's hear from everyone else.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA